Ideas...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by joedusa.4, Apr 9, 2017.

1. j

joedusa.4 New Member Member

Hey everyone, new here. I have a 36 bow set up that's ready for fish. pH is slightly acidic, 6.6 the lowest. Recommend some cool stocking suggestions! I want to have a really cool and stunning tank.

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

Before we offer up some cool suggestions, can we know a bit more about your tank?

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? Are you planning on doing a fish-in or fishless cycle?

What do you mean, 6.6 is the lowest? Does your pH fluctuate?

What kind of fish do you like?

3. OP
    OP
    j

My tank has been fully established for a long time, kind of got in and out of it, being a teenager. Want to fully be back in it. Did a nice water change tonight and will be sticking to it weekly.

I really like all kinds of fish to be honest... I work at a mom and pop pet store actually and my boss thinks I should make it a discus set up... wasn't too sure about it though and I felt it as being risky

4. TexasDomer

What do you mean it's established? If it's empty (no fish) and you're not adding ammonia, then the tank isn't cycled. Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

This tank isn't big enough for discus, unfortunately.

5. FlutterFish

FlutterFish Well Known Member Member

Agreeing with TexasDomer; when you leave your tank without added ammonia for a long time, the beneficial bacteria will starve and eventually die off, meaning that you should recycle it.

Since you have acidic water, I would go with something like a school of cardinal tetras, and bottom dwellers like corys.

6. OP
    OP
    j

There's a couple tetras in at the moment. I probably didn't describe well enough, sorry. The tank has been running for 11 years now, just not kept up with as it should've been and there hasn't been a decent amount of fish for a while. I am aware of the nitrogen cycle to answer your question.

7. FlutterFish

FlutterFish Well Known Member Member

Oh, in that case, what tetras do you have?

8. OP
    OP
    j

Literally 3 serpaes and a white skirt

9. TexasDomer

Do you like those fish and want more? Because if not, I would rehome them. Both need to be in groups of 6+ of their own species, and that would stock you for schooling fish. They shouldn't be left as is, as they're likely very stressed (no matter how long they've been in such a small group/singly). They can also bully any new fish you add.

If you want to keep them, what about this?

8-10x Serpae
    8-10x Skirt tetra (mix of black, white, or glo)
    10x Panda or false julii cories (just one species)
    2x Bolivian ram

And if you want to rehome them, what about this?

2x Apistos (M/F pair; many species to choose from)
    15-18x Ember tetra
    10x Flame or silver tip tetra
    10x Panda or false julii cories

10. OP
    OP
    j

I'm leaning towards rehoming them... also don't think I can get apistos. Don't carry them in the store

11. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Is there a reason why you want to rehome it?

12. OP
    OP
    j

Just to try out different fish. Nothing against them of course.

13. TexasDomer

Instead of Apistos, you could do a pair of Bolivian rams?

14. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Maybe you can do this:

10x rummynose tetras
    10x cardinal tetras
    8x sterbai cory
    1x honey gourami

OR

10x neon tetras
    10x silvertip tetras
    8x false julii cory
    1x bolivian ram

15. TexasDomer

Except I would do 2 Bolivians instead of one - they're not very aggressive when breeding, and keeping two would allow you to see much more interesting behavior (and arguably, it's better for the fish!).

16. OP
    OP
    j

I definitely like the idea of a pair of rams. That can definitely be worked out. Cories I can get as well. Tetras can be negotiable species wise but I think that'll work out well

17. FishL:))

FishL:)) Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FishLore, Joedusa.4 !!
    I'm sure you will find FishLore very helpful!! :)

18. OP
    OP
    j

Thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice