Ideas on stocking my 55 gallon

Fisherman15

Hello everyone! I know its an annoying question, but I like hearing other people's ideas on fish. I am honestly open to all ideas at the moment, I do not know what fish to stock in here. I have a 55 gallon, with a 20ft RGB led light strip, 200W Mainland heater, SunSun 304b, several fake plants and slate pillars/platforms. I currently have 1 BN Pleco inside the tank, but he's pretty lonely. I am wondering: 1. Could I grow christmas moss (for an underwater tree) and a grass plane without another light? 2. If not, what would I use, or is there better moss to use? 3. What would be a good schooling fish (I'm thinking of turning this tank into a community tank with multiple schools, but that's only an idea) 4. There of course would have to be centerpiece fish like GBR or angelfish, but what are other ideas? I am also a fan of cichlids. I have owned a Green Terror before, but it was just him. I think that this time around I want the tank to be very active and look like an ecosystem. Since I'm creating an underwater tree and a grass bed with a sand waterfall, I want this tank to really look active/natural.
Some of my ideas include:
-Bloodfin Tetras/Neon Tetras/Rummies for schools?
-Harlequins?
-Pearl Gourami?
-Otos?
Please guys I need some help, I want to stock it for my birthday.
x

Jaxsco

I can't help with the plant questions but I can help out with the stocking. How about we start with a centerpiece fish and build around it? Maybe take a look at these fish:
Rainbow Cichlid
Regular or Electric Blue Acara
Dwarf Cichlids
Angelfish
Gold, Opaline, or Pearl Gourami

Depending if you have a lot of rocks and decor in your tank MIGHT be able to do African Cichlids. The only reason I say "might" is because of your BN.
Also, do you want fish only from South America as that's where Bristlenose plecos naturally live?

Fisherman15

I do like the looks of the dwarf cichlids, how many would be good? And for the fish being from South America, it doesn't need to be necessary, but my BN is 100% staying in the 55. Are there any other centerpiece fish that are comparable with schooling fish? The more that I think about it, the more fish (within reason) the better.

Jaxsco

What kind of dwarf cichlids do you like? Another cichlid option would be a Firemouth.
As a mid-top dwelling centerpiece fish a Gourami would be your best bet imo.

tyguy7760

I'm guessing since you want an ecosystem then abnormal fish are out? Because my first response would be make your centerpiece fish a blood parrot. But here is what I would do (again, completely and totally based on my preferences of fish)

1 M/F Pair of Sajica Cichlid (some of the best breeding colors of any cichlid IMO)
1 Bolivian Ram
10 Aeneus/SterbaI Cory
12-15 Schooling fish (Rummynose, lemon, black phanton, diamond tetras are all great)
1-2 Pearl/sunset thicklip Gourami
1 BN Pleco

I tried to keep my suggestion all south/central american to keep it somewhat natural looking...but the gourami's are such great top dwellers so I had to throw one in.

Fisherman15

I'm guessing since you want an ecosystem then abnormal fish are out? Because my first response would be make your centerpiece fish a blood parrot. But here is what I would do (again, completely and totally based on my preferences of fish)

1 M/F Pair of Sajica Cichlid (some of the best breeding colors of any cichlid IMO)
1 Bolivian Ram
10 Aeneus/SterbaI Cory
12-15 Schooling fish (Rummynose, lemon, black phanton, diamond tetras are all great)
1-2 Pearl/sunset thicklip Gourami
1 BN Pleco

I tried to keep my suggestion all south/central american to keep it somewhat natural looking...but the gourami's are such great top dwellers so I had to throw one in.

I absolutely love abnormal fish, I am open to all ideas. I really like the idea of 1 Bolivian Ram, the pearl gouramis, and maybe the corys. But I am not set on the centerpiece fish(s). What would be good schooling fish, maybe multiple schools?

Jaxsco

If you like abnormal fish, take a look at leaf fish and African butterfly fish! I love my Bolivian ram! I'm not sure about two schools though. Perhaps some of the smaller rainbow fish species would work. Maybe a school of BosemanI Rainbowfish?

tyguy7760

Ok well if you are just going for awesome fish for a 55 gallon here is what I'd do

1 Blood Parrot
1-2 Bolivian Rams
1 Pearl Gourami
12-14 KuhlI Loach
8 Rummy Nose Tetra
8 Praecox Rainbow

or 15 of a schooling fish of your choice

Fisherman15

If you like abnormal fish, take a look at leaf fish and African butterfly fish! I love my Bolivian ram!

I love African butterfly fish. But my ideas for the tank are a bit different. I want a school (or multiple) swimming around, with my BN on the bottom (maybe with some corys) And a couple pearl gourami. What else would "fill" up the empt space?

Jaxsco

Tyguy proposed a great stocking. It'll fill up your entire tank!

Fisherman15

Ok well if you are just going for awesome fish for a 55 gallon here is what I'd do

1 Blood Parrot
1-2 Bolivian Rams
1 Pearl Gourami
12-14 KuhlI Loach
8 Rummy Nose Tetra
8 Praecox Rainbow

or 15 of a schooling fish of your choice

I like this idea. Will the KuhlI Loach's be good with the BN? What about the Blood Parrot? Id rather have more active fish than the loach, maybe 8 Rummy Nose, and harlequins? I'm honestly so lost on this...

tyguy7760

Kuhlis will be fine as long as you buy the BP young. If you want something a bit more active than the kuhlis swap them out with 8 zebra loaches

8 harlequin and 8 rummy nose would be fine.

Fisherman15

Kuhlis will be fine as long as you buy the BP young. If you want something a bit more active than the kuhlis swap them out with 8 zebra loaches

8 harlequin and 8 rummy nose would be fine.

My pleco is about a year old now, so yes not to young. What else other than loaches would be good? I'm sorry for all the annoying questions.

Jaxsco

Not annoying at all! I was, and am, way worse than you! An alternative bottom feeder or alternative fish in general?

tyguy7760

You could do 6 to 8 synodontis lucipinnis or maybe one larger synodontis like a featherfin. Alternatively you can get a school of cory cats or a few hoplo cats

Fisherman15

Not annoying at all! I was, and am, way worse than you! An alternative bottom feeder or alternative fish in general?

Haha not even! I'm just looking to fill it with the most activity as possible so it's finally good to look at!

tyguy7760

If your going for activity I'd do the zebra loaches over any catfish. Catfish are generally not as active. Harlequins and rummynose are great for activity

Similar Aquarium Threads

55 Gallon Tank Stocking for 55 gallon
Replies
Views
GrandGinkgo
Replies
Views
MrsMcGinniss
Replies
Views
Aquaticguy
Replies