Ideas on spawning?

AcuarioAmazonico

Hey,

just a question. I have two convicts - male and female.

She has coloured up really nicely. They’ve dug some pits in the substrate and moved a couple of pieces of decor here and there.

They spend most of their time together and there’s no agression.

Seems Like all the ducks are lined up for spawning. I put in a flower pot for a cave like structure. That said I ain’t seen not diggity diggity, not any eggs.

Any other suggestions or should I just sit back and stop stressing and let nature take its course?

cheers,

MikeRad89

Do a 25 percent water change with cold water to lower the temp a few degrees. It simulates a rainfall and inducing spawning in most cichlids.

I usually do this right after turning off the lights for the night. More often than not I wake up to eggs in the morning.

AcuarioAmazonico

MikeRad89 said:
Do a 25 percent water change with cold water to lower the temp a few degrees. It simulates a rainfall and inducing spawning in most cichlids.

I usually do this right after turning off the lights for the night. More often than not I wake up to eggs in the morning.
That’s brilliant (ie before bed). I funnily enough did a 50% water change this morning and as the hose comes from the bathroom I used colder water Than I usually do (to avoid any coppers etc as those pipes are used to scolding no water for showers etc and probably have heaps of nasties in them). Alas it wasn’t before bed - but I’ll try that in a couple of days if I’ve seen nothing. The tank is right outside my bathroom door.

AcuarioAmazonico

Well I ought to have waited for 12 hours lol

It’s currently 9:22pm and I’m laying on my bed chatting to a mate (on the phone) and I notice after more digging and spitting out substrate - eggs are being laid! Not in the flower pot - just under a rock in the gravel... let’s see how we go!

AcuarioAmazonico

This morning there’s no eggs. Is it normal for them to have eaten them (I mean it was their first go) or could they have buried them slightly?

MikeRad89

The male ate them. Very common for a first spawn. If anything’s amiss they’ll scrap the eggs. They’ll keep trying in different spots and you’ll have fry shortly though.

AcuarioAmazonico

MikeRad89 said:
The male ate them. Very common for a first spawn. If anything’s amiss they’ll scrap the eggs. They’ll keep trying in different spots and you’ll have fry shortly though.
Everytime I look at the tank there are new ditches they’ve dug. I’m assuming it’s close.

AcuarioAmazonico

So I was just assuming the two I had were useless. Friendly and always together. He likes to dig pits and she likes to dart around the tank. But the flower pot remained empty (flat Rock too). I thought perhaps the pit was too big and put in a small coffee cup. She likes to go in and out but nope.
Changed water today and as it’s night I’m laying on my bed (tank next to it) and she’s right at the front. That’s strange. She’s near a pit right under a rock. I assume we have eggs! Get light on phone: nope. No eggs. Fry! They are basically coming out of wriggler stage. How the **** did I not see this? Hahaha looks like for Christmas I’ll have a couple hundred convicts swimming around the tank!

The good thing I have an empty tank (but for 6 corys) that’s going to be the fry grow out tank after they’re free swimming

merry Christmas

AcuarioAmazonico

25775AB6-8E95-4383-ACCC-C3E32F6ABB3B.jpeg

C023E656-CFFF-4E43-A104-4F47094BBD35.jpeg
Ummm

AcuarioAmazonico

Any idea on how long to leave them with the parents? No other tank mates.
Someone said two weeks but is that two weeks from laying, hatching or free
Swimming?

AcuarioAmazonico

One month on and those little wrigglers are proper miniature cichlids

571A588F-A05D-4F3E-9AED-B8BC07C48BC7.jpeg

B340DC29-641B-4749-ABCC-BD0A92818F7F.jpeg

Tastymints

AcuarioAmazonico said:
One month on and those little wrigglers are proper miniature cichlids
How many survived so far?

AcuarioAmazonico

About 50