Ideas On How To Sound Proof My Tank

Sanderguy777
I have a 60 gallon tank and stand kit and I want to have it be quiet since it lives in my living room.
I have two topfin 60 or 80 air pumps and a penguin 350.
They are the only things that make any noise so I am wondering how to quiet them down.

They are not super loud but they are audible.
I am thinking of putting a shelf in for the air pumps and wonder if there is a way to cover them so they are silent.
Also, is there a way to make the filter silent? It is normally good right after a WC cause the water is high. But it seems to be making a light grinding sound lately. A rumble more than grinding....
Thanks

david1978
I bought quite a few air pumps and filters till I was happy. I have a tetratec ap200 air pump which you actually have to touch to make sure its still on and an aquaclear 110 filter which is about 2 foot from my head when in sitting on the couch. Your air pump you maybe able to put some sponge around it as far as the filter I don't have a clue.

Sanderguy777
I was thinking maybe a box with some foam in it.... Obviously with a hole for air.
The filter probably needs a bit of a service as it has been going for about 2 months now with me doing anything to the impeller.
I will look into the tetratec. It sounds better than cheapo PetSmart stuff lol

david1978
I don't even know if they make it anymore its about 20 years old. Lol.

PeauMon
You can fill a cardboard box with water then add your fish...BOOM! A soundproof aquarium! Just kidding, I have no idea you can soundproof a fish tank.

Sanderguy777
You can fill a cardboard box with water then add your fish...BOOM! A soundproof aquarium! Just kidding, I have no idea you can soundproof a fish tank.
I knew somebody was gonna say unplug it or something like that!
I really mean make it quiet to us humans... The tank is quiet, it's the air pump that's loud.

Fashooga
I always hated the vibration that the air pump did. I put the air pump on a towel to stop the vibrating, or at least toned it down.

bgclarke
I sit my air pumps on old tea towels to help dampen the vibrations.

I quieted my Penguin 100 by replacing it

Sanderguy777
Mine are on a towel and still make all kinds of racket....

I sit my air pumps on old tea towels to help dampen the vibrations.

I quieted my Penguin 100 by replacing it
What with?
Thinking about that with nine cause I don't remember my tetra whispers being this loud....

Sanderguy777
Ehiem makes one that's only 49 db..... And you can own one for only 55 bucks...
I think I'll take a new tank, what do you think?

Sanderguy777
I replaced that particular one with an Aqueon Quietflow filter.
Thanks. I'll look into that one.

Does anyone here have any experience with the tetra whisper 150 or 300?
Looking at them since I like lots of bubbles and have a large sponge and want to add airstones or a bubble wall.
Or even a CHEAP linear piston (if that's not the right name, I'm talking about the really quiet pumps that power entire fish rooms). Obviously it would be overkill but would there be an issue? Back pressure, airstone exploding, lid launched by the force of the air etc LOL

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Aquaphobia
Replies
Views
fishytingles
  • Question
Replies
Views
Dunk2
Replies