Ideas On Floating Plants

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Roxane0470, Apr 9, 2017.

1. R

Roxane0470 Valued Member Member

So far I have a dwarf lily, and 6 amazon swords, and was thinking of adding a floating plant, I have a 50-watt lighting system and usually have my light on for about 8 to 10 hours.

This is my layout in my tank so far

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2017
  2. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

3. MD_Plants

MD_Plants Well Known Member Member

4. barandemir09

barandemir09 Valued Member Member

I'll be getting some amazon frogbit in a week or so, they look pretty good as a floating plant, but I'll let you know how they go :)

5. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I like salvinia

6. Briggs

Briggs Well Known Member Member

I like frogbit and Brazilian pennywort as floaters. They both look like variations of tiny lily pads. With the frogbit, you get surface plants with long trailing roots, and with the pennywort you get a kind of tangle of stems with broad leaves that can move around in the tank a bit. If you have a lot of current or surface agitation, avoid frogbit, though. If the leaves get pushed under the water or just get and stay wet, they'll melt. Pennywort is a bit more versatile.

7. barandemir09

Is there anything without long roots and look like frogbit? I don't really want the long roots...

8. MD_Plants

You can get dwarf water lettuce. It is close to frogbjt but shorter roots[​IMG]

9. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

10. MD_Plants

I'm not sure why people like duckweed so much. I got mine from a local lake around me and put it in one of my aquariums. The filter would always push it down and it would get stuck on plants. Also, when ever water would evaporate, it would stick to the glass and die. And if you have any algae problems, the roots will grow into the algae and it's a pain to get out.

11. barandemir09

Yeah I don't like it too... it's just a pain, I hope the frogbit isn't like it...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2017
  12. MD_Plants

The frogbit is bigger and usually stays above the water. It is a lot better then pennywort but it didn't ship well

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice