Ideas On Floating Plants

barandemir09

Reaction score
I'll be getting some amazon frogbit in a week or so, they look pretty good as a floating plant, but I'll let you know how they go

Briggs

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I like frogbit and Brazilian pennywort as floaters. They both look like variations of tiny lily pads. With the frogbit, you get surface plants with long trailing roots, and with the pennywort you get a kind of tangle of stems with broad leaves that can move around in the tank a bit. If you have a lot of current or surface agitation, avoid frogbit, though. If the leaves get pushed under the water or just get and stay wet, they'll melt. Pennywort is a bit more versatile.

MD_Plants

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
barandemir09 said:
Is there anything without long roots and look like frogbit? I don't really want the long roots...
You can get dwarf water lettuce. It is close to frogbjt but shorter roots
578e1e96129af57d47be350b2fafb6b4.jpg

MD_Plants

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MaddieTaylah said:
Azolla & duckweed.
I'm not sure why people like duckweed so much. I got mine from a local lake around me and put it in one of my aquariums. The filter would always push it down and it would get stuck on plants. Also, when ever water would evaporate, it would stick to the glass and die. And if you have any algae problems, the roots will grow into the algae and it's a pain to get out.

barandemir09

Reaction score
Kzibell086 said:
I'm not sure why people like duckweed so much. I got mine from a local lake around me and put it in one of my aquariums. The filter would always push it down and it would get stuck on plants. Also, when ever water would evaporate, it would stick to the glass and die. And if you have any algae problems, the roots will grow into the algae and it's a pain to get out.
Yeah I don't like it too... it's just a pain, I hope the frogbit isn't like it...

MD_Plants

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
barandemir09 said:
Yeah I don't like it too... it's just a pain in the ***, I hope the frogbit isn't like it...
The frogbit is bigger and usually stays above the water. It is a lot better then pennywort but it didn't ship well

New Threads