Ideas On Algae Eater???

FishBiz
I would like to reduce the amount of algae I have to clean from my tank. My common pleco doesn't seem to eager to help, so I am looking for something else to help with algae cleanup. I was thinking Amano shrimp or Malaysian Trumpet snail. Any ideas???

DutchAquarium
Could you tell us what type of algae you have ex: Hair, Blue Green, Brown etc...

FishBiz
Could you tell us what type of algae you have ex: Hair, Blue Green, Brown etc...

It is brown algae

CrazyScienceTeacher
From what I’ve been told nerite snails are amazing algae eaters. I may have misread your post, so I apologize if I’m wrong, but common Plecos get huge. They can easily grow between 6-12in. If your tank is small, you may want to consider returning or rehoming it.

FishBiz
From what I’ve been told nerite snails are amazing algae eaters. I may have misread your post, so I apologize if I’m wrong, but common Plecos get huge. They can easily grow between 6-12in. If your tank is small, you may want to consider returning or rehoming it.

Thank you for the snail advice. I know that common plecos get massive. He is just a few months old, so still relatively small. I have him in a 30 gallon tank right now, so he is quite comfortable. I am still fairly new to the "fish business" so as I get more experience, I will be getting larger tanks! I will make sure this coincides with my pleco's growth to ensure he gets the habitat he deserves. Thanks!

CrazyScienceTeacher
Thank you for the snail advice. I know that common plecos get massive. He is just a few months old, so still relatively small. I have him in a 30 gallon tank right now, so he is quite comfortable. I am still fairly new to the "fish business" so as I get more experience, I will be getting larger tanks! I will make sure this coincides with my pleco's growth to ensure he gets the habitat he deserves. Thanks!

Ok I’m glad you’re planning ahead for it. Two other tidbits you may already know about them 1) they produce a good bit of waste and 2) they’re terrible algae eaters.

FishBiz
Ok I’m glad you’re planning ahead for it. Two other tidbits you may already know about them 1) they produce a good bit of waste and 2) they’re terrible algae eaters.

Thank you. I found both those things out through experience.

Sion
General advice for algae is to reduce your lights to 8 hours or less a day, make sure your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels are as low as possible.

How old is the tank?

Brown algae is often diatoms, they are common in new tanks 1-3 months old and generally go away on their own eventually. You are the best cleaner for this stuff, you can just rub it gently off plants and decorations. Adding a nerite snail would be great, it'd help with algae and wouldn't breed in the tank, most other snails can breed out of control and over run your tank.

The size of common plecos listed above is very conservative, I've seen ones between 18-24 inches in large tanks. You'll eventually need a tank at least 100+ gallons to accommodate it. Don't wait until the pleco looks too big before upgrading, you'll stunt the growth of the fish causing deformities, pain and a premature death.

FishBiz
General advice for algae is to reduce your lights to 8 hours or less a day, make sure your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels are as low as possible.

How old is the tank?

Brown algae is often diatoms, they are common in new tanks 1-3 months old and generally go away on their own eventually. You are the best cleaner for this stuff, you can just rub it gently off plants and decorations. Adding a nerite snail would be great, it'd help with algae and wouldn't breed in the tank, most other snails can breed out of control and over run your tank.

The size of common plecos listed above is very conservative, I've seen ones between 18-24 inches in large tanks. You'll eventually need a tank at least 100+ gallons to accommodate it. Don't wait until the pleco looks too big before upgrading, you'll stunt the growth of the fish causing deformities, pain and a premature death.

Thank you. I've had my tank for about three months now, so hopefully it will clear up soon. I have been cleaning it, and I think I will end up getting a nerite snail. I have read that plecos get up to 24 inches, so I am quite prepared to move to a tank that size. Thank you for the advice on when to move!

Goldiemom
Try a Japanese trap door snail. They do great with algae and excess fish food and are live bearers so you don't get overrun with baby snails.

FishBiz
Try a Japanese trap door snail. They do great with algae and excess fish food and are live bearers so you don't get overrun with baby snails.

Thank you! I will definitely look into those.

75g Discus Tank
The best algae controller is you.

Scrape all algae off of the walls with a scrubber pad.

Reduce light period to 8 hours and do it in blocks(4 hours on, 2 hours off, 4 hours on, off for rest of day).

Feed a little less for less nutrients in the water column.

Do more WCs or larger WCs to remove any extra nutrients that can build up.

Goldiemom
I never get algae. I wonder why??? Is it because of my bristlenose plecos. My tanks are next to the window but the covered patio blocks a lot of the sun.

FishBiz
The best algae controller is you.

Scrape all algae off of the walls with a scrubber pad.

Reduce light period to 8 hours and do it in blocks(4 hours on, 2 hours off, 4 hours on, off for rest of day).

Feed a little less for less nutrients in the water column.

Do more WCs or larger WCs to remove any extra nutrients that can build up.

Great,thanks! I routinely clean the algae off with a scrubber. I will definitely reduce the lighting. I have it on too much, from what you say. I will also try feeding a bit less. I do 1/4 WCs every two weeks, so I will try doing 1/3's.

75g Discus Tank
1/4 will be fine to do if you do it weekly.

FishBiz
DarkOne
BN plecos do a great job with brown algae. I was also getting hair algae and the BN didn't do much for it. I picked up some Otos and they didn't help either. I found some Siamese Algae Eaters locally so I picked up 3 and they've been doing a great job for most algae the BN didn't take care of. I have a total of 9 SAEs in 3 tanks. They will grow to about 5-6" and are very peaceful.

I have some mystery snails that do a marginal job. I didn't want snail eggs all over my tanks so I didn't get nerites.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• nikm128
  • Algae
Replies
Views
nikm128
Replies
Views
Chiasmodon
  • Cam sasseville
  • Algae
Replies