Ideas for stocking a 36 gallon bow front

BarbieAquatics

Hello Everyone!
I'm looking for ideas to stock a planted 36 gallon bow front tank. Currently I have a lot of bottom feeders and I would like top or middle swimmers to add some more visible activity.

My current stock:
4 peppered corydoras
3 kuhli loaches
5 neon tetras
1 dwarf gourami
1 nerite snail

Ideas for possible additions:
a few more neon tetras
2 hillstream loaches (yes I know these are bottom feeders but I really want or 2)
a couple of black long skirt tetras
red tail shark
maybe a centre piece fish like an angel

All ideas are welcome, thanks for your input!

LHAquatics

Hello Everyone!
I'm looking for ideas to stock a planted 36 gallon bow front tank. Currently I have a lot of bottom feeders and I would like top or middle swimmers to add some more visible activity.

My current stock:
4 peppered corydoras
3 kuhli loaches
5 neon tetras
1 dwarf gourami
1 nerite snail

Ideas for possible additions:
a few more neon tetras
2 hillstream loaches (yes I know these are bottom feeders but I really want or 2)
a couple of black long skirt tetras
red tail shark
maybe a centre piece fish like an angel

All ideas are welcome, thanks for your input!
4 more peppered corydoras
3 more khuli laoches
3 more neone tetras
1 or 3 hillstream loaches (make sure to add an air pump with an airstone)
7 black skirt tetras
You will not be able to add an angelfish or a red tail shark because the tank is too small.

Upvote 0

BarbieAquatics

4 more peppered corydoras
3 more khuli laoches
3 more neone tetras
1 or 3 hillstream loaches (make sure to add an air pump with an airstone)
7 black skirt tetras
You will not be able to add an angelfish or a red tail shark because the tank is too small.

Thank you for the options! do you have any ideas of fish that I didn't list? just to get more variety. If the extra Corys and Kuhlis aren't mandatory, I'd like to avoid adding more for now

Upvote 0

NofishB4

I have ember tetras with my cardinals. The embers pretty much stay in the top third (and are much more active, in my tank at least, than the cardinals). Their bright orange contrasts nicely with the blue/red of the neons.
Other ideas:

Top level swimmers
-6 forktail rainbowfish
Or
-6 marble hatchetfish
Or
-a pair or trio of A Australe killifish

or

mid level swimmers
A small school (6-8) of a deep bodied tetra like von rio tetras, rosy tetras, lemon tetras, glo fish tetra or similar.

I would get at least 3 more Khuli loaches and up the neons to 7-8.

Upvote 0

BarbieAquatics

I have ember tetras with my cardinals. The embers pretty much stay in the top third (and are much more active, in my tank at least, than the cardinals). Their bright orange contrasts nicely with the blue/red of the neons.
Other ideas:

Top level swimmers
-6 forktail rainbowfish
Or
-6 marble hatchetfish
Or
-a pair or trio of A Australe killifish

or

mid level swimmers
A small school (6-8) of a deep bodied tetra like von rio tetras, rosy tetras, lemon tetras, glo fish tetra or similar.

I would get at least 3 more Khuli loaches and up the neons to 7-8.

Thank you for listing so many options! I was also looking at Killifish as an option. Do you know anything about the chocolate gourami? if I added maybe 3 of those, would that stop any possible aggression from my current gourami? (its a fire and ice gourami)

Upvote 0

NofishB4

Thank you for listing so many options! I was also looking at Killifish as an option. Do you know anything about the chocolate gourami? if I added maybe 3 of those, would that stop any possible aggression from my current gourami? (its a fire and ice gourami)
Gouramis usually don’t get along with other species of gouramis. Some don’t even get along with their own species. I know literally nothing about chocolates.
I have an a australe in with honey gouramis but they are one of the smallest and are the most peaceful of both species. They pay no attention at all to the killifish. But the honeys would definitely get bullied by most other species of gourami.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Crazyfishperson
  • Question
Replies
Views
InTheBox
  • Question
Replies