Ideas For Stocking 10 Gallon Tank For Child

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Bogart16, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Bogart16Valued MemberMember

Hi guys,

I recently upgraded one of my 10 gallon tanks to a larger one and gifted the old 10 gallon to my 10 year old cousin. We're using the same filter/media/decor that I had in the tank originally and all the water test are looking good.

I'm taking him tomorrow to buy some fish. Any suggestions for easy maintenance fish to get that will also keep the attention of a child?

I'll be going over weekly to help maintain the tank, but I want to make sure he's invested and hopefully will stay interested in the hobby. My aunt isn't completely sold on this venture, so I'm trying to keep everything as easy as possible.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

2. AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

What about a betta? They are super cool fish, and are very hearty. You may have to switch to soft decorations to prevent fin tears, but so much personality.

You could divide the tank and get 2 even..

3. MattS99Well Known MemberMember

Guppy fraternity! I wouldn't divide it, it'd stress both fish if they saw eachother. I had bettas as a kid, they kind if bored me after a while. Guppies are, well... Guppies.

4. AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

The divider prevents them from seeing each other. I just divided my tank and I can't see the betta on the other side at all. I even used a flashlight to peer through, and nothing. I haven't gotten my second betta yet, but it is in the works for the next couple of weeks.

5. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

How about these options
    8 CPD
    1 asian stone catfish

Or
    1 platy
    2 endlers

Or
    8 ember tetras
    1 guppy

Or
    1 betta

All with 8 neocardinia shrimp, 3 amano shrimp and 1 nerite snail (apart from the bettas which may not get along with them depending on their temperament).

I wouldn't divide a tank less than 20 gallons. 1 betta in a 10 gallon would be much happier than 2 in 5 gallons.

There's a great list of fish suitable for a 10 gallon stickied in the stocking section. Can't post a link as I'm on my phone.

6. dcutl002Well Known MemberMember

A Betta would be great!. They are almost like having a dog or a cat, full of personality, very curious, and once they get to know you they come up to the glass flashing their colors. You can even build your own little Betta paradise! This tank build is about two weeks old and the plants have not filled in yet.

IMG_1041_zpscfyncvko.jpg

7. Hill DwellerWell Known MemberMember

I have 10 ember tetras and a bright neon blue guppy in my 10 gallon. (@BottomDweller helped me with the guppy choice! :) )

My 3 year old thinks it's great! :)

We had 2 male guppies but after a week they started chasing and tail nipping, so we took one back.

The current group all seem really happy now, it's an active and busy little tank that is fun to watch and I think the bioload is manageable, I'm not getting any difficulty with my water parameters. I do nearly 1/3 water change weekly because that's how much it seems to take to vacuum to my liking, haha
    IMG_2936.JPG

8. AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

@BottomDweller my betta HATED the 10 gallon. Was absolutely miserable. I had transferred him from a single 5g. Thought he would love the room. He wouldn't come out of his log, would literally sulk in the corner. Waited until the food sunk down to him. Previously he had been eating out of my hand, flaring, following my finger. So I put the divider up in the 10 gallon and he absolutely loves it. Is super active. Way more personality, than even before in his other tank. So I see nothing wrong with dividing a 10 gallon for 2 fish. This is actually the first I have ever seen anyone say to not divide anything smaller than a 20. That seems a bit excessive in my opinion.

9. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

You can definitely do more than 8 embers in a 10g. There's no hard rule, but I'd say you can easily get away with 12.

10. Hill DwellerWell Known MemberMember

They are all very individual aren't they! I previously had a very active veiltail that charged around his 10 gallon and totally owned it, and I currently have a half moon in a 7.5g which feels like overkill because he is so lazy, haha!

@Bogart16 it will come down to whether your cousin wants one fish or lots of little busy fish, I suppose. I hope you have a fun time choosing at the shop! :)

11. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

Here's the link to the 10g stocking thread-http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/showthread.php?t=207629
    Here are some of my recommendations(some have already been said)
    1. In my mind 1 platy=2guppy or 2 endlers and you can have a total of 3 male platies I a 10g(try and steer away from females since they have so many fry). So the first stock I'd recommend is either 3 platies or a mix of guppies/endless with them.
    2. A divided betta tank, I'd suggest having two filters one for each side. Make sure that each betta is the same gender, mixing them can cause complications in females.
    3. You could do up to 10 nano-schoolers if you'd like(ember tetras, CPDs, exc.)
    4. A shrimp tank, you could try just a simple shrimp tankfor him.
    5. 2 Pea puffers, these guys are filled to the rim with personality, keep in mind that they need frozen food and snails for their diet.

You can try shrimp or snails in all but 5, but sometimes especially with betta, they can become a snack. Hope this helps and you enjoy stocking the tank!

12. mcnasty1New MemberMember

Try some White Cloud Mountain minnows. Excellent schooling fish with a small bioload so you could keep a small school. They're cheap, easy to look after and very hardy. One of my fave fish

13. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

I wouldn't do WCM as they need a school and a 10g isn't larger enough.

14. ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

Please let the tank age a month or two for the Nerite before placing in... but these are some fun combos.

15. PrismWell Known MemberMember

I would REALLY recommend "GloFish" make sure to have the special blue, and white LED light, and I would recommend getting 6, they come in very lots of colors, green, blue, purple, pink, yellow, and red! The red and pink look alike but you can tell the difference! I would really recommend that because you can't go wrong with them, theres boy colors, and girl colors! I have some in a aquarium and there really active, and fun to watch with the pretty colors!

16. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

I wouldn't get glofish, they need a 20g minimum.:)

17. Bruxes and BubblesWell Known MemberMember

If you want colorful and hardy, guppies are usually the way to go as for fish. However, you could have a pretty sweet red cherry shrimp tank in a 10 gallon! Maybe have one nice male guppy and a bunch of cherry shrimp? That would be a nice attention-getting tank without the maintenance being overwhelming.

18. KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

You can definitely do 8 white cloud mountain minnows in a 10 gallon.
    I like bottoms's 8 Celestial Pearl Danios with the stone cat, I might do that myself!

19. Bogart16Valued MemberMember

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I took him to the store and let him point out whatever fish interested him. We ended up getting a betta and 2 ADFs. I have the same set up at home. I'm going to go get him 2 or 3 more frogs in a few weeks.

20. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

Happy to hear you have it picked out.
    Just wanted to throw in that I wouldn't do a guppy in a ten. First off they do prefer company even though they aren't schooling fish. I would put their activity level similar to neon tetras (maybe even a bit more active) and really need a 20long. (That being said the guppies I pull to bring to the lfs get a temp home in a ten gallon, they do just fine for the short term)
    Endlers on the other hand could be a great choice.
    For kids a betta is the way to go though. My 7 and 3yr old love their bettas. :) one leaves the cherry shrimp alone, the other one eats them!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice