Ideas For Second Aquarium

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Brian Rodgers, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Brian Rodgers

Brian Rodgers Well Known Member Member

Good morning
    We recently picked up a 45 gallon 36"x23"x12" aquarium.
    I'm thinking small Cichlids.
    I'm now leaning toward Mikrogeophagus ramirezi and staying with the 45 gallon tank. Water specs are close, but not perfect: Temperature: 26 – 30 °C pH: 4.0 – 7.0 Hardness: 18 – 179 ppm. Plenty warm, more acidic than what we have from well water, the hardness looks about right.
    What do you think about the German Blue Rams? Will it be too difficult to keep adjusting the pH. I would like to try my luck with leaf litter type system.
    On of the positive points with this setup is I can use the aquarium we already have for Cichlids.
    Also, I want to redo our 50 gallon low tech planted tank and create a high tech system with a proper substrate and CO2.
    I'm thinking of progressing in this order, I'll create a wooden cabinet for the 36"x23"x12" 45 gallon tank.
    Currently I've cleaned and setup the Fluval 406 and set it in the 50 gallon 48" long tank along with the Fluval 306 it already has to get the beneficial going in the new 406.
    Move the 306 to the 36" long aquarium along with the BDBS substrate and some of the water from the community tank.
    After the new tank is cycled I'll move all the fish from the 50 gallon to the 45 gallon tank until I have created the planted tank substrate along with CO2 enabling growing more challenging plants in the 50 gallon community tank.
    Once the high tech tank is established or settled in I'll reintroduce the community fish to their new home and start to create a natural looking South American environment for the Rams.
    From Seriously Fish:
    A more natural-looking arrangement might consist of a soft, sandy substrate with wood roots and branches placed such a way that plenty of shady spots and caves are formed, plus one or two flat rocks or similar to provide potential spawning sites.

The addition of dried leaf litter would further emphasize the natural feel and with it bring the growth of beneficial microbe colonies as decomposition occurs. These can provide a valuable secondary food source for fry, while the tannins and other chemicals released by the decaying leaves aid in the simulation of natural conditions.

Aquatic plants can also be used with those from genera such as Microsorum, Taxiphyllum, Cryptocoryne and Anubias perhaps most useful since they can be grown attached to the décor, although none of these are native to South America.
    This plan checks off a lot of boxes for my journey into a two aquarium household.
    What do you think?

2. Lacey D

Lacey D Well Known Member Member

The wood and leaves will help with the acidity you need. I'm not an expert on the rest of it, but it sounds amazing and I can't wait for updates on your progress! Vallisneria, Sagittaria, Echinodorus and "Christmas" moss (Vesicularia dubyana) are all South American, and might also work well for you :)

Tropica has this list, along with requirements of each.  

3. OP
    OP
    Brian Rodgers

That's awesome thanks for sharing.

4. OP
    OP
    Brian Rodgers

Good morning!
    After extensive research I've bought a new CO2 regulator. Because I'm on a fixed income now that I'm retired, I'll be setting up a piece at a time CO2 system for our current 50 gallon aquarium. Argon CO2 Mig Tig Regulator Medium Duty Flow meter Gas Welder CGA320 314H-AR This has the proper CGA-320 inlet connector for CO2 as well as a low pressure gauge which reads 0 to 30 PSI. I hope I did good.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice