Ideas For Restocking 55gallon(please Read Description) 55 Gallon Tank

1. Scope Member Member

Well right now I have a aggressive 55gallon setup which consists of 10+ inch peacock bass , two 3 inch warmouth , two bluegill, etc. which all of them I will be moving too a small pond, looking for a decent size fish with good personality, not looking for peaceful fish maybe semi aggressive - aggressive, not looking for an oscar , I was thinking flowerhorn or blood parrot but I want too see some good ideas thanks:)

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

A FH would need a bigger tank, but you could do a few blood parrots? You also have the option to add schooling fish as well.

3. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Are you wanting to stock a single fish like a wet pet? Or are you hoping for tankmates?

4. Scope Member Member

I like the term “wet pet” but yea basically I want a dog personality in a fish what are some recommendations? I can also move the fish too the pond in the future if needed

5. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

BPs would be a great choice then! And they can live permanently in the 55 gal.

6. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

I agree with TD, BP's are very personable and love to interact! Well... most of them are.

7. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I'd consider only keeping 1 BP in a 55. If you want more I'd do 3 instead of 2. That's going to be cramped in the future though

Other very interactive cichlids that could be a wet pet for you would be a jack dempsey, A group of sajicas (mine are very interactive and not shy at all) or if you are a patient person, an amphilophus lyonsi. Lyonsi's are slow growers and timid starting out but quickly turn into a beautiful fish with lots of personality. Though you might have to upgrade to a 75 on down the line...like several years as these guys grow slow and usually top out right at 9 or 10 inches

8. grantm91 Well Known Member Member

Take serious note at what tyguy says, parrots are slow growers but do get very big over time, one in a 55 is all id do maybe get 6 schoolers medium large tetra with it, i have 3 myself in a 120 with other inhabitants.

9. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You don't think a pair would work?

10. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I only hear bad things from folks who try to keep a pair of blood parrots. One always ends up picking on the other so you end up having 1 very friendly fish and 1 that is afraid to come out at all and very stressed. While from a bioload perspective and enough space perspective 2 would be fine, i just hear more people ending up rehoming the second blood parrot instead of it working out. I would try to keep them in any numbered groups besides 2.

11. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Hm, I would've thought it wouldn't be more difficult to get them to pair than other cichlids.

12. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah. One reason it could be is that they are almost impossible to sex many times. Unless you vent them there is no way of knowing and many times because of the deformation, venting can be fruitless. I've seen anecdotally where the males will attack the females in the pair because of the failed spawning (even though usually it's the male that is infertile) and many times may kill the female. This is common in most central american cichlids where the male is hard on the female after a failed spawn.

13. Manjit Member Member

Cool I love this term "wet pet"...
    koi, goldfish, saimese betta are also very intaractive....