Ideas for reducing noise from an air pump

1. Tiph8uh5knee Member Member

I have a tetra whisper 10 air pump and I'm currently using it in a 5 gallon betta tank. It's so noisy! It has such a loud annoying deep hum. Almost like the way some ceiling fans make noise but to a greater degree. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to try to reduce the loud humming?
    I've used it a few different times in different tanks with different air stones, tubing, and different sponge filters. I feel like I just can't keep it running bc the noise drives me crazy. I have it sitting on a folded hand towel and have tried a silicone jar opening grip pad thingy, as well. I was thinking maybe bc I have a flow control valve that there's not enough air going through and making it worse, but I don't know how I would really fix this problem without making the current/bubbles too strong for my betta. I did try opening it to see if maybe something was broke, but all I could really come up with is that the vibrating arm part seems to have a a lot of movement to it. I know it's supposed to move and vibrate but if I hold it with my finger a bit the noise is reduced. That being said I don't know if that is unusual as I've never had another air pump before. I've thought about buying a new/different pump but I'm worried I'll just have the same issues.

2. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

I found this video where a glue gun is used to silence the rotating arm and cotton is placed over the air intake holes. I think I would try silicone first, but here: https://youtu.be/4BaTCe8VqdE

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You can also put a thick towel over the pump. If that doesn't help, you can try putting it in a box with the towels. Or get a quieter pump.

4. Tiph8uh5knee Member Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

5. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

No, I would not do this. The motor could get hot from lack of ventilation and possibly start a fire.

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Not a completely closed off box, just something to quiet the noise a bit.

7. NormalFishkeeper Initiate Member

i shove my whisper 40 in a cabinet with plenty of circulation and rest it on a dish sponge. both top fin and whisper pumps sound like lawnmowers.

8. fishytingles Initiate Member

I fold up a sheet of Kitchen Towl (paper towel in the states?) into four then put it underneath the motor. Also I put sellotape over it so it doesn't jiggle around & fall off the shelf. Does the trick for me and I have 2 in my bedroom lol x