Ideas for reducing noise from an air pump

Discussion in 'Air Pumps' started by Tiph8uh5knee, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Tiph8uh5kneeValued MemberMember

I have a tetra whisper 10 air pump and I'm currently using it in a 5 gallon betta tank. It's so noisy! It has such a loud annoying deep hum. Almost like the way some ceiling fans make noise but to a greater degree. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to try to reduce the loud humming?
    I've used it a few different times in different tanks with different air stones, tubing, and different sponge filters. I feel like I just can't keep it running bc the noise drives me crazy. I have it sitting on a folded hand towel and have tried a silicone jar opening grip pad thingy, as well. I was thinking maybe bc I have a flow control valve that there's not enough air going through and making it worse, but I don't know how I would really fix this problem without making the current/bubbles too strong for my betta. I did try opening it to see if maybe something was broke, but all I could really come up with is that the vibrating arm part seems to have a a lot of movement to it. I know it's supposed to move and vibrate but if I hold it with my finger a bit the noise is reduced. That being said I don't know if that is unusual as I've never had another air pump before. I've thought about buying a new/different pump but I'm worried I'll just have the same issues.

2. dcutl002

dcutl002Well Known MemberMember

I found this video where a glue gun is used to silence the rotating arm and cotton is placed over the air intake holes. I think I would try silicone first, but here:  

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

You can also put a thick towel over the pump. If that doesn't help, you can try putting it in a box with the towels. Or get a quieter pump.

4. OP
    OP
    T

Tiph8uh5kneeValued MemberMember

Thanks for the suggestions.

5. dcutl002

dcutl002Well Known MemberMember

No, I would not do this. The motor could get hot from lack of ventilation and possibly start a fire.

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Not a completely closed off box, just something to quiet the noise a bit.

7. NormalFishkeeperNew MemberMember

i shove my whisper 40 in a cabinet with plenty of circulation and rest it on a dish sponge. both top fin and whisper pumps sound like lawnmowers.

8. fishytingles

fishytinglesNew MemberMember

I fold up a sheet of Kitchen Towl (paper towel in the states?) into four then put it underneath the motor. Also I put sellotape over it so it doesn't jiggle around & fall off the shelf. Does the trick for me and I have 2 in my bedroom lol x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice