Ideas For New Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Bettaeverything, Apr 19, 2018.

1. B

Bettaeverything New Member Member

Hi everyone,
    I'm pretty new to this, wanting to ask what the amount of fishes u can have in a 10 g tank excluding a betta. -cheers

2. GrayGray4231

GrayGray4231 Well Known Member Member

It all depends on the type of fish you want, what kind is it you want??

3. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

4. Mary765

Mary765 Well Known Member Member

In a good 10g walstad you can have the same amount of fish as in a normal 10g tank. It's safer to bump down your bioload a little bit if you can though so it isn't too hard on your plants :D

Check the list and get back to us with any fish you like the look of

5. OP
    OP
    B

I would love to get a betta but I saw earlier comment saying that 10g tank is enough for just one betta. In addition, I would like to have ember tetras and ghost shrimp if possible.

6. Mary765

Yeah male betta need a tank of their own. Maybe a female would work with ember tetra and shrimp buy you will have to ask someone else

7. j

jaymethy Valued Member Member

It might work, it might not. There are other options you can do with ember tetras though, that are a little bigger and little more colourful. For example, I have 3 male guppies in with my shoal of 7 ember tetras, and they just add a lot more colour and activity to the tank.

8. OscarHoya

OscarHoya Valued Member Member

If you are new to the hobby, I would consider changing the tank to a 20 or 30 gallon. They don't take up that much more space than a 10 gallon. The reason I say this is that a 10 gallon has been hard for me to control the cycle. I'm sure some more experienced people would say it's not a problem, but more water would be easier to handle in my mind.

I have tetras, mollies and a catfish. The mollies are the most playful and the kids love them. For some reason my tetras are very shy and hide as soon as someone comes around the corner. I lost my mollies so I'm thinking about going to a 30-45 gallon tank and going with Convicts. They are one of my favorite since I was a kid. My $.02

9. e10yuforreal

e10yuforreal New Member Member

One small fish per gallon

10. GrayGray4231

N
    No! That is not a good rule of thumb!

11. j

The saying is 1 inch of fish per gallon. However, that doesn't hold for most fish, most tanks and many reasons.

12. GrayGray4231

Yea, if that was a good rule of thumb people would be putting 10 inch koi in a 10 gallon tank.

13. B

Blaggy Valued Member Member

Welcome to being a new aquarist. I'm new as well. However with bettas I've had some experience. It all depends on personality, some are more aggressive than others and some prefer certain tank mates over others. I've had one that hated EVERYTHING, so I knew to keep him alone. My current Koi betta, I tried putting a female guppy and a ghost shrimp. He absolutely loves the guppy, but hated the ghost shrimp and killed him.

Trial and error, but rule of thumb is leaving them alone.

14. GrayGray4231

Well, most female betta are pretty sane. Mine for example, is super chill. Except for feeding time, she is like a little Tasmanian devil....:p

15. B

Blaggy Valued Member Member

Oops, right. Let me clarify my posts above, because that info is based on male bettas.

16. Mary765

Male betta and tank mated are reccomended for 20g or more tanks unless you know he is a pacifist. Not to say they can't work in a 10g, just saying it gives more room for fish to swim and hide in a 20g if the betta were to become not so pacifist

17. OP
    OP
    B

Thank you everyone for your advice and experiences related to this matter. For tank size. From what I've hear so far, 20g is the ideal size for a community tank for a betta.

Would it be ideal to have 20g tank then with one betta, Few ember tetras, corycatfish, and ghost shrimp?
    Cheers.

18. GrayGray4231

Not shrimp!!

19. Mary765

I'm not sure if you could fit all of them bioload wise in a 20g. Try testing that stocking list against your tank size and ideal filter on AqAdvisor and come back with the results. Remember you would need 6 ember tetra and 6 dwarf cories

20. j

A 20 gallon is not the ideal tank size for a community with a betta, because bettas are in no way a ideal community fish. But if youre going to try it, 20 gallons or bigger is the way to go.
    The betta should be okay with some corys. But the shrimp are a huge no-no, and will make a very expensive snack for the betta.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice