Ideas for Getting Rid of Algae in Outdoor Tub

That1FishKeeper

My outdoor tubs have been getting an absolute algae explosion this summer. Green algae everywhere (probably some sort of hair algae), like on my plants, substrate, walls, filters. It doesn’t really effect any of the chemistry in the tubs, except for maybe plant growth, but it’s super ugly. Any ideas for control? Or should I just deal with it.

WRWAquarium

Hi

Are the tubs in direct sunlight? Some kind of shade might help to control the bloom of hair algae.

That1FishKeeper

Hi

Are the tubs in direct sunlight? Some kind of shade might help to control the bloom of hair algae.
The tubs get direct sunlight for around 2-3.5 hours max. I was thinking of making some sort of canopy to give them some shade.

WRWAquarium

Hmmm that's not overly long in full sun, still it could be worth trying the canopy. I feel like there may be a product to remove green hair algae from ponds such as a steriliser alongside a UV light

Reminds me actually, when I was a boy and made small garden ponds I used to use straw bundles? think it helped.

RayClem

Once you have an algae bloom, you have to be careful in treating it. Green algae produces oxygen during daylight hours. Once you kill the algae, decomposition consumes oxygen. Thus, you do not want to kill it too quickly. I once knew a guy who was trying to raise catfish for sale in an above ground swimming pool. The pool had a lot of algae, so he treated it with a copper based algaecide. The algae died and all the fish suffocated. Thus, proceed with caution.

That1FishKeeper

Hmmm that's not overly long in full sun, still it could be worth trying the canopy. I feel like there may be a product to remove green hair algae from ponds such as a steriliser alongside a UV light

Reminds me actually, when I was a boy and made small garden ponds I used to use straw bundles? think it helped.
Yeah I thought so too. I thought I was fine with the sun hours and even thought it wouldn’t be enough light to grow some of my plants, but then I realized how strong the sunlight was.
For products to use, I’ve been looking for one that doesn’t harm the fish and the inverts (shrimp and snails) in the tank. Any suggestions?
I’ve yet to see straw bundles in my lifetime. I’m a city person.
Once you have an algae bloom, you have to be careful in treating it. Green algae produces oxygen during daylight hours. Once you kill the algae, decomposition consumes oxygen. Thus, you do not want to kill it too quickly. I once knew a guy who was trying to raise catfish for sale in an above ground swimming pool. The pool had a lot of algae, so he treated it with a copper based algaecide. The algae died and all the fish suffocated. Thus, proceed with caution.
Yup definitely will take it slowly, thanks for the heads up. Probably gonna run another sponge filter too.

Ksway

What temp is the pond ? Can you add some algae eaters in there to take care of it?

That1FishKeeper

What temp is the pond ? Can you add some algae eaters in there to take care of it?
The tank goes anywhere from 70 to 80 here in California. It’s stocked with guppies, cherry shrimp, and a nerite snail. The inverts haven’t been doing much damage. I do plan to add Amanos though if that might help.

Ksway

Yea cherry shrimp I find don't tend to clear out the algae too much, my algae crew for my aquascapes are amanos otocinclus and bnerite snails. I had a big bloom of hair algae and diatoms in my new setup when I had no fish in it and the crew took care of it in a week. Also bristle nose plecos will do a good job on it as well and I'm sure would love to breed in there also

coolio3991

The tank goes anywhere from 70 to 80 here in California. It’s stocked with guppies, cherry shrimp, and a nerite snail. The inverts haven’t been doing much damage. I do plan to add Amanos though if that might help.
Add more shrimp. And maybe some ramshorn or bladder snails. I have a 30g tub pond on my porch here in southern oregon and I never have algea problems in any tank or pond. I have rams horn snails and some guppies in my outdoor pond. I'm leaving the pond out there year round. It's just now getting colder. But the snails and guppies have been fine so far.

ProudPapa

This is my first year keeping tubs outside, so my experience is very limited, but maybe my experience will help. I have them (3) in almost full shade. One of them has so much guppy grass that I have to move some out of the way occasionally so the adult guppies can get to the surface to feed, and another has a similar situation with hornwort. Those have little to no algae. The third has some plants, but not as much, and has more algae.

To sum it up, if you can add more plants it may help.

coolio3991

This is my first year keeping tubs outside, so my experience is very limited, but maybe my experience will help. I have them (3) in almost full shade. One of them has so much guppy grass that I have to move some out of the way occasionally so the adult guppies can get to the surface to feed, and another has a similar situation with hornwort. Those have little to no algae. The third has some plants, but not as much, and has more algae.

To sum it up, if you can add more plants it may help.
Jet is definitely right. If you have a good fast growing plant like he does it will help stop algea from growing. Especially since the plants he mentioned grow fast so they use up more nutrients. I'd definitely recommend getting guppy grass its easier to work with. You can plant it in the gravel or float it. Hornwort you cant plant. It leaves you more limited

ProudPapa

Jet is definitely right. If you have a good fast growing plant like he does it will help stop algea from growing. Especially since the plants he mentioned grow fast so they use up more nutrients. I'd definitely recommend getting guppy grass its easier to work with. You can plant it in the gravel or float it. Hornwort you cant plant. It leaves you more limited

Hornwort also melts back pretty bad when introduced to a new environment (or at least it does for me). Guppy grass doesn't seem to notice.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Sab80
  • Algae
Replies
Views
MacZ
  • Question
  • KTshrimp
  • Algae
Replies
Views