Ideas for centerpiece fish.

skar

Popular question I know. .. I apologize now.

75 gallon planted aquarium.
Tropical temps 77-78.
Current stock :
3 pleco -xs RCS - 7 rummy nose. 5 gobys - 3 snails - 10 kuhli loachs- 12 silver tip tetra 13 espie- 1 Apisto -1 sae
4 cories - 4 ghost shrimp -5 sidthmunki loach -1 ADf -6 amano shrimp- 4 emperor tetras.- 1 guppy- 7 cpd -1 peacock grudgeon .

20220513_091525.jpg

Obviously want a peaceful fish that may get along with shrimp.

I bought a neon blue ram that died during transport :( feel like I threw away my cash.

Appreciate some ideas.

A201

You might try a male Bolivian Ram. Much more durable & a little bigger than the German Blue Ram.

skar

You might try a male Bolivian Ram. Much more durable & a little bigger than the German Blue Ram.
They are a nice fish.

I've had them before, the blue ram just wasn't cut out for the hour ride home.
I should've checked on him during the ride or requested a bigger bag. Oh well, this is the way.

I don't think the bolivian would be a good mix with the shrimp.Between the two the blue ram is better looking imo.

skar

Due to the underwhelming replies here.
I think a normal blue ram or a pearl gourami are the best candidate's for my tank.

I'll weigh between these two.

CMT

Due to the underwhelming replies here.
I think a normal blue ram or a pearl gourami are the best candidate's for my tank.

I'll weigh between these two.
Re: the lack of replies, it's a pretty difficult question to answer. You listed 19 different species of livestock in the tank already, so that is a lot to take into consideration. When most people think of centerpiece fish in a tank as large as 75G, it's something with enough size to catch your attention. But you have small shrimp and small fish so anything with size is likely out of the question.

So what makes it a centerpiece fish for you? Color? Some other characteristic?

For example, both a ram and a pearl gourami are cool fish, but I wouldn't expect to put either in a 75G tank with 19 other species and call it a centerpiece. It would just be another interesting thing to look at amongst all the other interesting things. Every fish I can think of putting in my 75G that stands out enough to be an attention-gathering centerpiece would probably conflict with the other creatures in your tank.

Youthquaker

Why not have a centrepiece school rather than a centrepiece individual? Increase the number of one of the tetras to really appreciate the schooling nature

skar

Re: the lack of replies, it's a pretty difficult question to answer. You listed 19 different species of livestock in the tank already, so that is a lot to take into consideration. When most people think of centerpiece fish in a tank as large as 75G, it's something with enough size to catch your attention. But you have small shrimp and small fish so anything with size is likely out of the question.

So what makes it a centerpiece fish for you? Color? Some other characteristic?

For example, both a ram and a pearl gourami are cool fish, but I wouldn't expect to put either in a 75G tank with 19 other species and call it a centerpiece. It would just be another interesting thing to look at amongst all the other interesting things. Every fish I can think of putting in my 75G that stands out enough to be an attention-gathering centerpiece would probably conflict with the other creatures in your tank.
Understandable.
I do appreciate your response.

Most of the animals in my tank are under 2inchs I was thinking of a centerpiece being of some size 4-5 inchs and generally slow moving.

Visually striking is a plus but not necessary.
Also must be peaceful, I suppose a pearl gourami are all those things.

Now that I read your reply though, perhaps I'm best just maintaining at the current moment.
Until a shoal or two of fish has lived their duration.

Maybe stressful for everyone if I put a larger fish in right now.

CMT

Understandable.
I do appreciate your response.

Most of the animals in my tank are under 2inchs I was thinking of a centerpiece being of some size 4-5 inchs and generally slow moving.

Visually striking is a plus but not necessary.
Also must be peaceful, I suppose a pearl gourami are all those things.

Now that I read your reply though, perhaps I'm best just maintaining at the current moment.
Until a shoal or two of fish has lived their duration.

Maybe stressful for everyone if I put a larger fish in right now.
A pearl gourami is a fine choice. I just wouldn't consider it a centerpiece per se in a tank that size, but that's a matter of opinion. I think pearl gouramis really stand out in a group.

I definitely think less variety of fish help for the remaining fish to stand out more, especially if you were to make one particular shoal/school larger than the others. I have 2 large angelfish in a 75G, but honestly my eye is drawn to the school of 12 rasboras just as often. When they move as a group they stand out a lot.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
skar
  • Question
Replies
Views
skar
  • Question
Replies
Views
skar