55 Gallon Tank ideas for background?

Swifterz

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I really want a plain black or dark blue background. I have seen a lot where it looks textured or wavy. I assume this is like a fabric or something?

something else I thought about was just like a large sheet of paper or board or whatever, but I really don't know where to get something like that large enough. I could get several small sheets of something but i'd rather it be seemless.

right now I have one from the store and it is stones and plants and what not. when I switched from bright blue to black gravel the fish' colors just popped. I want to get the whole thing darker.

just looking for pictures of what you've done and some suggestions. thanks!

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
check out different wrapping papers from the dollar store they have a TON of different designs and you can change it often without spending a ton of money...I have black on mine and got it from there

OP
Swifterz

Swifterz

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Shawnie said:
check out different wrapping papers from the dollar store they have a TON of different designs and you can change it often without spending a ton of money...I have black on mine and got it from there
thanks Shanie

can I see a picture??

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Swifterz said:
thanks Shanie

can I see a picture??
sure heres my african tank with the wrapping paper on the back user6141_pic7204_1244826374.jpg

and heres a betta tank that I did at Christmas LOL
yes.JPG

I'm sure you can get the idea from those and again you can choose a ton of different types depending on your moods

OP
Swifterz

Swifterz

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
thanks! I like the cichlid tank but I would prefer for myself something a little less glossy. the chirstmas tank is funny.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Swifterz said:
thanks! I like the cichlid tank but I would prefer for myself something a little less glossy. the chirstmas tank is funny.
the paper isn't glossy my camera flash is tho

navyscuba

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Shawnie said:
the paper isn't glossy my camera flash is tho
You mean the glas is glossy and reflect the light back to ya. Tip for pics always take the pic at an angle. Hehehe okey: I'm just pulling your chain girl.

angelfish220

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I bought dark blue cheapo fabric and sticky velcro, stick on side of the velco on the tank and the other on the fabric. That way you can wash it if it gets waterstains!

OP
Swifterz

Swifterz

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
that's a really good idea. I might go see what they have at some stores. thanks!

btate617

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use a big sheet of card board then pull and staple tight a black trash bag around it.

Works great!

Brian

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I spray paint my backgrounds, but since you already have fish in the tank that probably isn't your best option, lol.

OP
Swifterz

Swifterz

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
the back of the tank is firmly against the wall. the HOB filters are actually touching between the tank and the wall. i'd have to remove them and be working in a really tight space to apply the background, unless I want to drain the water and move it all, which I don't.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
harpua2002 said:
I spray paint my backgrounds, but since you already have fish in the tank that probably isn't your best option, lol.
I plan on painting the 90. However, it's all set up.....how about a roller instead of a can?

navyscuba

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jaysee said:
I plan on painting the 90. However, it's all set up.....how about a roller instead of a can?
You can definitely do that. I scraped my 55 gal that when I got it, it was painted black on the back with a brush and I tell you didn't look bad I just want it some different.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
navyscuba said:
You can definitely do that I scraped my 55 gal that when I got it it was painted black on the back with a brush and I tell you didn't look bad I just want it some different.
I have a 55 that came with window tint on it...my GF likes it....

Thanks!

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I've used large black plastic trash bags. Cut them at the seam. They are light enough that it doesn't take much to keep them in place. One of my tanks I used the HOB filter, hoses, airline tubing and the lighting fixture to old it in place.

OP
Swifterz

Swifterz

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i've seen someone tint the glass like you would a car's windows

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can always paint a piece of MDF or plywood cut to size & just slide it into place behind the tank. You could even paint your own little underwater scene on it if your artisticly minded.

New Threads