ideas for background? 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Swifterz, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Swifterz

SwifterzValued MemberMember

i really want a plain black or dark blue background. i have seen a lot where it looks textured or wavy. i assume this is like a fabric or something?

something else i thought about was just like a large sheet of paper or board or whatever, but i really don't know where to get something like that large enough. i could get several small sheets of something but i'd rather it be seemless.

right now i have one from the store and it is stones and plants and what not. when i switched from bright blue to black gravel the fish' colors just popped. i want to get the whole thing darker.

just looking for pictures of what you've done and some suggestions. thanks!

2. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

check out different wrapping papers from the dollar store :) they have a TON of different designs and you can change it often without spending a ton of money...I have black on mine and got it from there

3. OP
    OP
    Swifterz

thanks Shanie :)

can i see a picture?? :D

4. Shawnie

sure heres my african tank with the wrapping paper on the back user6141_pic7204_1244826374.jpg

and heres a betta tank that I did at Christmas LOL
    yes.JPG

im sure you can get the idea from those :) and again you can choose a ton of different types depending on your moods

5. OP
    OP
    Swifterz

thanks! i like the cichlid tank but i would prefer for myself something a little less glossy. the chirstmas tank is funny. :)

6. Shawnie

the paper isnt glossy my camera flash is tho ;)

7. navyscuba

navyscubaWell Known MemberMember

You mean the glas is glossy and reflect the light back to ya. :giggle: Tip for pics always take the pic at an angle. Hehehe :pokey: I'm just pulling your chain girl. :;hug2

8. angelfish220

angelfish220Well Known MemberMember

I bought dark blue cheapo fabric and sticky velcro, stick on side of the velco on the tank and the other on the fabric. That way you can wash it if it gets waterstains!

9. OP
    OP
    Swifterz

that's a really good idea. i might go see what they have at some stores. thanks!

10. btate617

btate617Well Known MemberMember

I use a big sheet of card board then pull and staple tight a black trash bag around it.

Works great!

Brian

11. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

I spray paint my backgrounds, but since you already have fish in the tank that probably isn't your best option, lol. :p

12. OP
    OP
    Swifterz

the back of the tank is firmly against the wall. the HOB filters are actually touching between the tank and the wall. i'd have to remove them and be working in a really tight space to apply the background, unless i want to drain the water and move it all, which i don't.

13. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I plan on painting the 90. However, it's all set up.....how about a roller instead of a can?

14. navyscuba

navyscubaWell Known MemberMember

You can definitely do that. I scraped my 55 gal that when I got it, it was painted black on the back with a brush and I tell you didn't look bad I just want it some different.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  15. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I have a 55 that came with window tint on it...my GF likes it....

Thanks!

16. catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

I've used large black plastic trash bags. Cut them at the seam. They are light enough that it doesn't take much to keep them in place. One of my tanks I used the HOB filter, hoses, airline tubing and the lighting fixture to old it in place.

17. OP
    OP
    Swifterz

i've seen someone tint the glass like you would a car's windows

18. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

You can always paint a piece of MDF or plywood cut to size & just slide it into place behind the tank. You could even paint your own little underwater scene on it if your artisticly minded.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice