Ideas for another fish species for a very peaceful community?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Akeath, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Akeath

Akeath Valued Member Member

I'm hoping you guys can give me some neat fish ideas. :-D
    I have a 75 gallon community aquarium, and I'm thinking of eventually getting another small schooling fish. It would have to be extremely peaceful, go with the other fish, and my water parameters would need to be in its ideal range. I don't want any fin nippers, nothing too boisterous or super active, and I wouldn't want one with strong hierarchies within the school or one where one of sexes was so hard on the other that there had to be a certain ratio for their well being. I'm looking for a very sweet natured fish.
    Its tank mates would be:
    10 Harlequin Rasboras
    11 Gold Tetras
    Around 15-18 Panda Cories
    1 Bristlenose Pleco
    1 female Honey Gourami
    pH stays consistently at 6.6, gH is 10 degrees. Temperature of around 74-75 degrees (23 degrees C.) Ammonia and Nitrites are consistently 0 ppm, Nitrates usually are well below 20 ppm. Water changing schedule is around 40% weekly. Oh, and if the fish you suggest has any particular sensitivities, please let me know about them too.

2. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

How about Pygmy Cories? They swim all over the place from bottom to mid and top....looks great in planted tanks and swim tightly together.

3. freak78

freak78 Well Known Member Member

Blood fin tetras are peaceful and active.

4. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

You probably have enough cories already. Maybe a mid-level schooling fish. See what your LFS stock, and you might get some good ideas that way.

5. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

You could never have enough cories :p

6. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

How about a school of dwarf neon rainbows?

7. OP
    OP
    Akeath

Akeath Valued Member Member

The Pygmy Cories sound interesting. I'm very fond of catfish. Right now my Panda Cories seem to stay out of the open more than not. Will the Pygmy Cories be like that too, more under cover, or will they swim in open water most of the time?

8. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

If you have 15 they should be very active, around the bottom to mid areas of your tank. Maybe you need more plants and cover so they feel safer in the light. Or maybe your Gourami bullies them? Or someone else?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice