Ideas For a Top Dwelling Fish?

TheDojoMojo

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello,
I am thinking of stocking my 125 with currently nothing in it. I have come up with a plan for most of it, however, I am missing a compatible top dwelling fish. As far as parameters/tank details go, Ive got the following:

Temperature= 73-74 (relatively cool water)
KH= 7,
pH= 7.0 (in daytime with co2),
GH= 8-9 dGH,
Oxygen= testing around 10 ppm
Plants= heavily planted
Filtration= FX6 and maybe a HOB
Water changes= 30% weekly
Lid= standard glass lid with open back, but I can get a more closed one to accommodate for killifish or others like it
Probable tank mates= dojo loaches, zebra loaches, panda garra, gold barbs, bala sharks (I intend to return to LFS after reaching about 7-8 inches)

Using the above information, what is a top dwelling species which would fit the parameters decently as well as get along with the proposed tank mates? I would love to hear any suggestions of your personal favorites, but as far as my ideas, I have considered killifish (preferably non-annual), pencilfish, or hatchetfish, but am unsure which one of these would fit best with this setup. I am looking for something colorful if possible as that is something my setup lacks (except for gold/yellow). Also, a lower bioload option is ideal because I am reaching max capacity soon, but can always make adjustments if needed. Thanks!

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reaction score
TheDojoMojo said:
Hello,
I am thinking of stocking my 125 with currently nothing in it. I have come up with a plan for most of it, however, I am missing a compatible top dwelling fish. As far as parameters/tank details go, Ive got the following:

Temperature= 73-74 (relatively cool water)
KH= 7,
pH= 7.0 (in daytime with co2),
GH= 8-9 dGH,
Oxygen= testing around 10 ppm
Plants= heavily planted
Filtration= FX6 and maybe a HOB
Water changes= 30% weekly
Probable tank mates= dojo loaches, zebra loaches, panda garra, gold barbs, bala sharks (I intend to return to LFS after reaching about 7-8 inches)

Using the above information, what is a top dwelling species which would fit the parameters decently as well as get along with the proposed tank mates? I would love to hear any suggestions of your personal favorites, but as far as my ideas, I have considered killifish (preferably non-annual), pencilfish, or hatchetfish, but am unsure which one of these would fit best with this setup. I am looking for something colorful if possible as that is something my setup lacks (except for gold/yellow). Also, a lower bioload option is ideal because I am reaching max capacity soon, but can always make adjustments if needed. Thanks!
I love killifish as long as you have secure lid.

OP
TheDojoMojo

TheDojoMojo

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for the info! I can definitely get a tighter lid if needed. I will update the original post.

Basil

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Scissortail rasboras. Lovely fish. Check the temp range, but I think they are ok in cooler water.

smee82

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had spotted blue eyes yrs ago and they stayed at the top 90% of the time

OP
TheDojoMojo

TheDojoMojo

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
smee82 said:
I had spotted blue eyes yrs ago and they stayed at the top 90% of the time
Is this spotted blue eyes rainbowfish you are speaking of? Sorry, I am unfamiliar with this fish.

smee82

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
TheDojoMojo said:
Is this spotted blue eyes rainbowfish you are speaking of? Sorry, I am unfamiliar with this fish.
It sure is. I should of been clearer sorry.

New Threads