ideas for a 2.5 gallon? Question 

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hi, I have a 2.5 gallon minibow that is being used as a qtank right now. however I need to get a larger one. but I really don't want to not use the mini, as it took me a bottle of tss, and A lot of patience through one minI cycle....and i'd like to use it if I can. (it originally had a vt male in it)

I am looking to not have a betta in it...(though if that's the only option, then maybe I could) .and I don't think any other fish would work? so I have been considering having red cherry shrimp and maybe an ADF? I also have a nerite i'd like to keep in it. x

PS. if RCS breed so well, what would I be doing with all the babies?

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
RCS sound great you can have 10-15 RCS per gallon because of their incredibly tiny bioload but of course you still need a filter and to feed them algae wafers and blanched zucchini

EDIT:here is the link I read today

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
thanks josh, that link helped. so what if I didn't want a bazillion shrimp....could I just get all females?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think you could get an ADF. I wanted one, but they are jumpers. I freaked out at the thought of one getting out and hopping around my house.

Oh, and I don't know if you can get all girl shrimp.

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
How about a couple of male very pretty endlers?

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
endlers.....yeah I like those, I had forgotten about them. they are in the family of guppies right?

adf's, yeah I bet they are jumpers.....it has a lid and all....I guess i'd have to think about that.

what about white cloud minnows? I think they, the shrimp and the snail can be in cooler water.....right?

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm sorry to say that white cloud mountain minnows or endlers are not suitable for the tank. Both need 10 gallons minimum, due to them being very active fish, and WCMMs need preferably 15 gallons, being closely related to danios, they share the hyperactive nature.

In fact even bettas shouldn't be housed in 2.5 gallons, a 3 gallon to 10 gallon tank works best.

For red cherry shrimp, you can easily sex them with these methods:

Females are larger (1"), males are smaller (0.75")
Females have a curved "underbelly", while the underbelly of males is flat
Females are bright red, while the males are clear with red spots

An ADF will be very nice for your tank, just make sure there aren't any cracks he could escape from.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
good to know about the minnows brian. and endlers. actually there was a betta in the 2.5, before he went to his 10 gallon divided. he seemed pretty happy in there though. but i'm thinking of doing the shrimp/nerite in the tank, not another betta.

I did look up pics of the RCS, I can def see which is female. so it's not a big deal to have all females? like maybe, I dunno, no more than 10? and a nerite? also, I am wanting to use a sand bottom. is that ok?

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
From what I understand, which is probably not totally correct, but you need to be careful with sand because toxins can build up if it's not stirred up. Or something like that, which is why I nixed sand for my shrimp tank. But Malaysian trumpet snails burrow in the sand and keep it healthy, so maybe switch out the nerite for an MTS.

-Lisa

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
yes... I have heard that too about the sand needing to be stirred. that's ok with me. and I really love my nerites....but I don't know much about mts

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads