20 Gallon Tank Ideas for 80 L with Shrimp and White Cloud Mountain minnows

Sindbera

Hello there,

I am currently in the early stages of getting my new 80 L / 21 G aquarium up and running.

Measurements: 62x36x36 cm
Plants: Medium to heavy planted tank
CO2: Yes
Temp: 20-22 Celcius
Filter/pump: Output a bit on the high end, so in the back half of the aquarium there is a good bit of current (the white clouds love this is seems).
Water: We have extremely soft water around here - so I will add a mineral stone.

As of now the residents are the following:
  • 9 White Cloud Mountain minnows
  • 12-15 RCS
Incoming:

I am looking for input from you seasoned folks here, on ideas for mates to go with the above - or maybe if you'd advice against adding more?

I don't think I'll add more of the white clouds, but it could be fun to have another type of fish going along with these. My focus will not be breeding shrimp, so I'm okay with a fish that might take a baby shrimp every now and again.

The fish I have been thinking could be the one to add:
  • Otocinclus - though might be too many algae eaters given the amanos coming in...
  • Celestial Pearl Danio -can't really figure out if the will clash with the white clouds?
  • Kuhli Loach - might be fun to have a buttom dwelling fish?
All ideas are welcome - thanks in advance

richiep

If your focus is on breeding shrimp you want to think about your co2 unless its right with minimal ph swing you will loose shrimp, co2 and shrimp don't mix well

Upvote 0

Sindbera

If your focus is on breeding shrimp you want to think about your co2 unless its right with minimal ph swing you will loose shrimp, co2 and shrimp don't mix well
Thanks for taking your time to answer. My focus will not be breeding shrimp - which is why I'm okay if a fish will take baby shrimp now and again.

I have tried to follow this article: CO2 in a Shrimp Tank - Shrimp and Snail Breeder - and am currently using about 1/2 of the amount of CO2 in this guide: CO2 System 60 for all starter aquariums up to 60L - Tropica Aquarium Plants - it's tricky to find the perfect balance, between great plant growth, and making it a nice home for the shrimps as new to the hobby

Edit: Eventually I hope to use a CO2 system, with a more precise method of adjusting bubbles etc - than this starter set from Tropica.

Upvote 0

richiep

It nice to see someone do their research on co2 and you know whats going on,
Sorry I misread that your not focusing on shrimp, your fine tuning could help others here later on so keep us posted on how things pan out.
Your amanos will be a lot hardier and you should have no problems with them and fish,
Welcome to fishlore by the way

Upvote 0

Sindbera

I really appreciate the feedback richiep, there are SO much info online, sometimes very contradicting too. So I guess this hobby will at times have a bit of trial and error to it. I will try to keep the post updated as I move along.

And thanks for the welcome, this place seems to be really great!

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

I'm a big fan of corys, and I believe panda corys do okay with water a few degrees cooler than most of the other species. Have you considered them?

Upvote 0

Sindbera

I'm a big fan of corys, and I believe panda corys do okay with water a few degrees cooler than most of the other species. Have you considered them?
I have not been looking into corys a lot, I got the idea that these little fellas, will plow through the soil, and dig up smaller plants. But as I read up on them - that does not seem to be the case?

Would yout think a group of 5 of these, would be too much in a tank of my size, on top of the white clouds?

Thanks for taking the time to write here

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

I have not been looking into corys a lot, I got the idea that these little fellas, will plow through the soil, and dig up smaller plants. But as I read up on them - that does not seem to be the case?

Would you think a group of 5 of these, would be too much in a tank of my size, on top of the white clouds?

No, I don't think that would be too much. In fact, I'd probably bump it up to 7 or so instead of 5.

Upvote 0

Sindbera

No, I don't think that would be too much. In fact, I'd probably bump it up to 7 or so instead of 5.
Cheers, I will absolutly read up a bit more on these - I will wait about another 3-6 weeks before adding more fish, just to ensure the tank settles a bit more.

The LFS currently stocks the following corys, but will ask them if the pandas could be gotten.
  • Corydoras aeneus
  • Corydoras agassizii
  • Corydoras elegans
  • Corydoras habrosus
  • Corydoras hastatus
  • Corydoras pygmaeus
  • Corydoras sodalis
  • Corydoras sterbai
They do seem like a super charming little fish I must say!

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

Cheers, I will absolutly read up a bit more on these - I will wait about another 3-6 weeks before adding more fish, just to ensure the tank settles a bit more.

The LFS currently stocks the following corys, but will ask them if the pandas could be gotten.
  • Corydoras aeneus
  • Corydoras agassizii
  • Corydoras elegans
  • Corydoras habrosus
  • Corydoras hastatus
  • Corydoras pygmaeus
  • Corydoras sodalis
  • Corydoras sterbai
They do seem like a super charming little fish I must say!

If you can't get pandas I'd suggest one of the other smaller varieties, like pygmaeus, hastatus, or hasbrosus.

Upvote 0

Sindbera

Noted JettsPapa, I will read up on those specific ones - appreciate all the input!

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

Noted JettsPapa, I will read up on those specific ones - appreciate all the input!

Corydoras pygmaeus will spend more time higher in the water column than the others. They do still spend time foraging on the bottom, but not as much as other corys.

Upvote 0

Convoluted77

I have a 29g that I keep at 22c with wcmm,ember tetras,emerald dwarf rasboras,pygmy and habrosus cories along with cherry and amano shrimp.They all do great and get along swimingly.I don't use co2 tho but if you keep yours dialed in I think whatever combo of fish that you decide on will be a super fun tank.

Upvote 0

Sindbera

Thanks Convoluted77, another 'vote' for the cories

Those emerald dwarf rasboras looks really great, will read up a bit on those too!

Upvote 0

Fritzcrackerz

I have a group of 7 hasbrosus and they are really playful. Charming to watch them and they don't touch my shrimp at all.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Pitorro
Replies
Views
cbcb95
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies