Ideas For 55 Gallon

Genavelle

Sorry if this is the wrong forum...

So right now my 55 gallon tank is lacking fish. I have a female Pearl Gourami, 1 platy, and 2 striped Raphael Catfish. Obviously, I would like to add more fish...but I'm having trouble deciding what would even be good to add. I would love to have a school of something, but I think whenever I get very small fish, they get eaten by the catfish....I would also love to add some color to my tank. I'm looking at maybe getting a few Blue Rams, as I read they can be peaceful. I also really like the rainbow fish that I see at my fish store, but they're sort of expensive for a schooling fish. Any ideas or suggestions on what else I can put in here?

I'm also thinking about maybe redecorating the entire tank while I have so few fish. Thinking of maybe putting them in a spare 10 gallon I have, and just taking everything out. I'd love to get some more plants set up, and maybe even switch from gravel to sand substrate. I feel like my tank is just kind of ugly and messy right now and I want to make it look...better.

Aqua 59

CMB

Maybe you could get some more Pearl Gouramis. I was planning on getting some for my tank before I realized that they wouldn't work (temperature compatibility issues), and everyone told me that they were social fish. If you get more, you should have at least 2 females for 1 every male.

kanzekatores

Genavelle

watermelon46 said:
More gouramis of any kind would do fine in your tank. I agree with Aqua 59 about getting cories. I know of many schooling fish but not about their compatibility with the catfish...:
~ tetras
~rasboras
~white cloud minnows
~hatchetfish

To add more color I recommend rams, cardinal tetras, white cloud minnows, and celestal pearl danios. Plant-wise, some cool-looking options are dwarf sag, sword plant, anubias, bolbitis, cryptocoryne, java moss, java fern, and cambomba.
I'll probably look more into tetras and rasboras.

And I know Pearl Gouramis are supposed to be social...I just didnt know it when I bought mine. I think I've had her for about a year now, and shes a lot bigger than the ones at the pet store. I'm just worried that she might not react well if I put more into the tank now. I used to have a honey dwarf gourami, and while they weren't really aggressive witheach other, I could tell there was some territorialism. I just really like my pearl and I don't want to cause issues by throwing more gouramis in after shes gotten used to sort of being the queen of the tank.

I also love hatchets, but I'm probably not going to put them in this tank. I have a future idea to get a 20 gallon long, and have it just be a shrimp and hatchet tank. Lots of plants, with shrimp on the bottom, and hatchets up top. Just waiting until I get a house so I don't have to move two tanks.

kanzekatores

If anything, it would make your pearl gouramI happier to get more tankmates. they should ideally have a shoaling size of 4+. Your 20 gallon tank could have more in it if you'd like, but your current plan is fine too. Good luck

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom