150 Gallon Tank Ideas For 150 Gallon

~Matt~

I recently found a 150 gallon aquarium on eBay for $170, so I decided to pick it up. It’s been set up for about 3 weeks now and I think it’s time to add some fish, I’m just not sure what. I was looking to have a somewhat nonaggressive tank with a centerpiece fish (Oscar, flowerhorn, giant gourami, etc.). I would appreciate ideas of any kind so I can fill up this tank! Thanks in advance.

Crispii

How about doing a biotope?

ystrout

A 150! That's awesome! That'll be a fun project.

Oscars and flowerhorns are extremely aggressive. I think giant gouramis are peaceful, but they get too big for a 150 gallon. They get like 2 to 2.5 feet long.

I don't know much about cichilids, but if you do an Oscar or flowerhorn, I'm sure there's a few types of cichlids you could put in with them. If you want a more standard community tank, you can do pearl gouramis as the centerpiece fish. They get quite large and are peaceful so they can have many kinds of tank mates.

coralbandit

Nice score !
Consider clown loaches and Roseline sharks [Denison barbs ]..
Welcome to the 6' club !
Er the tank is 6' right ?

Basil

coralbandit said:
Nice score !
Welcome to the 6' club !
Heh. Great minds think alike.
I was going to suggest a group of blue Botia
Yasuhikotakia modesta (picture attached. I saw them in one of my LFS and have been longing for a 150 for them ever since!)
and a school of Denison barbs.
Although clown loaches are definitely easier to find.

Fashooga

The real question to figure out is, is this a 150 gallon wide or a 150 gallon tall. I've seen both an if it's the tall version you might have the 4 foot version. If you have the wide than it's at least 6 feet.

The width will help you figure out what you can keep and not keep. Oscars are a nice fish and can be paired with other fish of similar size. The tall tank will allow some space but there might be aggression problems later on. If it's a 6 foot tank your ability to have more fish expands due to the width. The longer the better.

~Matt~

Fashooga said:
The real question to figure out is, is this a 150 gallon wide or a 150 gallon tall. I've seen both an if it's the tall version you might have the 4 foot version. If you have the wide than it's at least 6 feet.

The width will help you figure out what you can keep and not keep. Oscars are a nice fish and can be paired with other fish of similar size. The tall tank will allow some space but there might be aggression problems later on. If it's a 6 foot tank your ability to have more fish expands due to the width. The longer the better.
It’s a 6’ luckily. I dislike the taller tanks

~Matt~

coralbandit said:
Nice score !
Welcome to the 6' club !
Yep it’s a 6’.

~Matt~

coralbandit said:
Nice score !
Welcome to the 6' club !
I was definitely considering Clown loaches. Would they go well with something like a giant gouramI or Oscar?

coralbandit

~Matt~

ystrout said:
A 150! That's awesome! That'll be a fun project.

Oscars and flowerhorns are extremely aggressive. I think giant gouramis are peaceful, but they get too big for a 150 gallon. They get like 2 to 2.5 feet long.

I don't know much about cichilids, but if you do an Oscar or flowerhorn, I'm sure there's a few types of cichlids you could put in with them. If you want a more standard community tank, you can do pearl gouramis as the centerpiece fish. They get quite large and are peaceful so they can have many kinds of tank mates.
Thank you for the suggestion. I’ll definitely keep the pearls in mind. Do you know of any larger semI peaceful fish that would be able to go in a 150?

Marijn Lange

Turn it into an Angle Fish aquarium! Look at this beauty! Ofcourse this one is much bigger but its serves as an example.

~Matt~

Marijn Lange said:
Turn it into an Angle Fish aquarium! Look at this beauty! Ofcourse this one is much bigger but its serves as an example.

Wow. That is stunning. I’ve never kept angels before, but now I just might.

A201

Flowerhorns are one of the most aggressive hybrids available in the hobby. An Oscar is a good choice, but will likely max out at 12 inches or more.
If you want to fill up a tank that size with cichlids, look into an all male Aulonocara (Peacock) & Haplochromis (Haps) community. A 150 would make a pretty African tank.

ystrout

~Matt~ said:
Thank you for the suggestion. I’ll definitely keep the pearls in mind. Do you know of any larger semI peaceful fish that would be able to go in a 150?
If I were you and wanted larger fish, I'd do an Opaline gouramI as my centerpiece fish which grow to about 6 inches. I'd also get a school of some type of rainbow fish or giant danios. Then I'd fill it in with some bottom dwellers and nerite or mystery snails.

~Matt~

ystrout said:
If I were you and wanted larger fish, I'd do an Opaline gouramI as my centerpiece fish which grow to about 6 inches. I'd also get a school of some type of rainbow fish or giant danios. Then I'd fill it in with some bottom dwellers and nerite or mystery snails.
I wasn’t really thinking about something that small. I meant a fish about 12-14 inches

86 ssinit

The angels and the clown loaches would work out nice. Maybe a few geophagus to clean up the gravel. Be a nice setting. Add a big cave for the loaches. Oh and there’s also discus!! They’d look great in a 150.

ystrout

~Matt~ said:
I wasn’t really thinking about something that small. I meant a fish about 12-14 inches
Ahh. Yaa I don't have any experience with fish that big.

Keep us posted on what you get though!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom