Ideas For 130?

Sable Everett

I've been browsing the Facebook marketplace for small tanks for my dorm room (I'm suffering from MTS once again) and I found a listing for a 130-gallon tank. I'll be moving into an apartment next fall, but it got me thinking... What would I even do with a tank that size? A goldfish tank? I'm not into saltwater tanks, so that's out. Maybe just a cardinal tetra tank with a huge school. The largest tank I've ever had was 23 gallons.

What would you do with a 130?

Reeferxbetta

Definitely saltwater, but for a freshwater tank, I'd do something predatory.

Nataku

I'd do an Asian biotope with clown loaches and a bunch of gourami.
Or perhaps the Dune themed tank I've been wanting to do with Rope fish.

Platylover

I'm with Reefer, I'd probably do a marine betta tank, but for fresh I'd go with either a wild betta tank or a tank with a few schools of less common fish. Like venuzlian copies and gold tetras or a type of rainbow. I also would like a predatory tank with African butterflies and some mid-bottom dwelling predator, perhaps a bichir.

Mike1995

for a dorm room id have to disagree with the above. I wouldn't do saltwater. With the amount of equipment and all you'd have to put into a 130, I'd say imo it would be unwise for a dorm. Because one day you'll have to move it all anyway.
maybe you could do cichlids? To give you ideas, I have a 112g with a green terror, and 4 geophagus. Most active fish ever

Reeferxbetta

for a dorm room id have to disagree with the above. I wouldn't do saltwater. With the amount of equipment and all you'd have to put into a 130, I'd say imo it would be unwise for a dorm. Because one day you'll have to move it all anyway.
maybe you could do cichlids? To give you ideas, I have a 112g with a green terror, and 4 geophagus. Most active fish ever
I think she meant outside of a dorm room, I don't think any dorms would allow 130 gallons, but it'd be pretty cool if they did. Although it's probably a safety/mess thing, I think really the only place that would "allow" 130 gallons on a second story is your own home, I don't think any apartments would allow that, and a lot of places look at it as "what if it leaks?" That's why a lot of places have that maximum, it's far less of a tragedy when a 20 gallon tank leaks than when a 100 gallon tank leaks, but I have heard of some places making some exceptions to their rules.

ParrotCichlid

I would go freshwater and predators for sure.

Option 1
2 Oscars
1 Pike Cichlid (10-12" max)
2 Senegal Bichirs

Option 2
3 Needle Nose Gars (xenentodon cancila)
2 Senegal Bichirs

Imo big fish look good in big tanks

Aureus

I'd definitely have a couple of Oscars as they're one of my dream fish to keep.

shutterbug13

Personally I would do lots of little fish with a couple larger fish as a centerpiece.
I'm not good with stocking so these aren't exact numbers but something like this would be cool:
50x top/mid-dwelling schooling fish
30x corydoras
A few rams and/or gouramis (the exact species and numbers depending on the requirements of the schooling fish)

sloughdog

Personally I like the idea of different species of schooling fish. It fascinates me how a large school of fish essentially acts as one large single organism.

Mike1995

I think she meant outside of a dorm room, I don't think any dorms would allow 130 gallons, but it'd be pretty cool if they did. Although it's probably a safety/mess thing, I think really the only place that would "allow" 130 gallons on a second story is your own home, I don't think any apartments would allow that, and a lot of places look at it as "what if it leaks?" That's why a lot of places have that maximum, it's far less of a tragedy when a 20 gallon tank leaks than when a 100 gallon tank leaks, but I have heard of some places making some exceptions to their rules.

no. She clearly says"for her dorm room". It's the very first sentence. So again, saltwater wouldn't be a food choice because eventually all that equipment etc will end up being moved.
maybe do a discus or severum tank with geophagus. pretty, peaceful and fun to watch

Reeferxbetta

no. She clearly says"for her dorm room". It's the very first sentence. So again, saltwater wouldn't be a food choice because eventually all that equipment etc will end up being moved.
maybe do a discus or severum tank with geophagus. pretty, peaceful and fun to watch
Actually the quote says "small tanks for my dorm room" 130 isn't small, and I don't think there is a dorm that exists that would allow that. I don't think she actually means she's going to buy this tank, I think it was just more of a "what if" thing, and she was just curious what other people may do with it. Either way, she already said she's not into saltwater, and I don't live in a dorm, so for me, a 130 saltwater wouldn't be an issue. Sounds to me like the question is more asking peoples ideas on what THEY would do, not a recommendation on what to do.

Sable Everett

To be perfectly clear, I meant for outside of a dorm room. This was more of a hypothetical. My dorm has a maximum of 20 gallons.

Reeferxbetta

To be perfectly clear, I meant for outside of a dorm room. This was more of a hypothetical. My dorm has a maximum of 20 gallons.
That's what I figured, although it'd be cool if dorms allowed 130 gallons

Sable Everett

I feel like they might as well. It's not like you could fit something that big in a dorm anyway. The tank is probably bigger than the room.

Platylover

I feel like they might as well. It's not like you could fit something that big in a dorm anyway. The tank is probably bigger than the room.
People like me would find ways, it may end up with me sleeping on top of the tank and having only half a desk, but I’d still find a way.

Sable Everett

I gave up what I think is supposed to be part of the "kitchen" so I could have Cicero. And now, with another 5 gallon in my sights, I'll have to find a place to put it... I now have a kitchen drawer filled with food that embodies "Would you like some food with that salt?"

Platylover

To bad you don’t want a saltwater tank, sounds like you’d have more than enough salt to start it up! Lol

In all honesty though, salt is pretty amazing. Love the stuff.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
devsi
Replies
Views
Annie59
Replies
Views
Basil
Replies
Views