Ideal Temp, pH & dGH for Tiger Barbs?

JustAFishServant

Green Tiger Barbs are some of my favorites! Books & websites state they originate from Borneo and breed with an average temp of 72-79°F, 6.5 pH and 10° dGH. Will my params keep them healthy long-term? I had my last group for 3 years (they were rescues w/ an unknown age to start). Params from the tap are 6.8 pH, don't remember dGH but I know it's relatively soft and temp w/o a heater in the fish room is 68-72°F (20-22.2°C).

Note: our tap is free of heavy metals, chlorine and chloramine. Nitrates are 30-40 and nitrite is less than 1ppm (which gets removed almost instantly from my over-filtration) :)

Shambhalaubie

Green Tiger Barbs are some of my favorites! Books & websites state they originate from Borneo and breed with an average temp of 72-79°F, 6.5 pH and 10° dGH. Will my params keep them healthy long-term? I had my last group for 3 years (they were rescues w/ an unknown age to start). Params from the tap are 6.8 pH, don't remember dGH but I know it's relatively soft and temp w/o a heater in the fish room is 68-72°F (20-22.2°C).

Note: our tap is free of heavy metals, chlorine and chloramine. Nitrates are 30-40 and nitrite is less than 1ppm (which gets removed almost instantly from my over-filtration) :)

pH : 6 - 7.5

Temperature : 70°F - 78°F (21°C - 26°C)

Water Hardness : 5° to 15° dH

JustAFishServant

Shambhalaubie
Thanks! How about minimum schooling size? Some say 5-6, 10 or even 15. I plan on having a school of 10. Will this be suitable in your opinion?

Shambhalaubie

Shambhalaubie
Thanks! How about minimum schooling size? Some say 5-6, 10 or even 15. I plan on having a school of 10. Will this be suitable in your opinion?

They can be semi-aggressive and they will do best when kept in a school of at least 6 or more. Getting only of couple of them will surely bring out their fin nipping behavior. Also, you want to make sure that your ratio of males to females is good as well, so in that regard the more the better (1 male - 3 female). What size of aquarium were you planning to use? The minimum for this fish is 20 gallons or more as they can grow up to 3 inches (8 cm).

JustAFishServant

They can be semi-aggressive and they will do best when kept in a school of at least 6 or more. Getting only of couple of them will surely bring out their fin nipping behavior. Also, you want to make sure that your ratio of males to females is good as well, so in that regard the more the better (1 male - 3 female). What size of aquarium were you planning to use? The minimum for this fish is 20 gallons or more as they can grow up to 3 inches (8 cm).
Thanks! My last Green Tiger Barbs were 3" and chunky as all get out. They lived 3 years but were rescues so I'm not sure how old they were previously. I miss those chubby piranhas XD

My plan is to set up an old 29g, heavily plant it and make it my first community in over 3 years. It'll have 8 Green Tiger Barbs, 8 Black Phantom Tetras, 1 Three-Spot Gourami that can hold her own and 1 SAE. Based on AqAdvisor it'll be 112% stocked with plenty of filtration (Fluval U4) and weekly 1/3 WC. Params will be 10° dGH, 6.8 pH, probably 74°F and less than 30 nitrate, cycled for 2 months. I realize this is overstocked but I'd like to experiment a bit :)

A201

I currently have a group of at least 13 very healthy & active Tiger Barbs. The water in my area would not be considered ideal by the on line Barb gurus. It's very hard water with an elevated PH of 8.2. Perfect for African Cichlids, Central American species & a good base water for starting a marine tank. Despite all that, my Tiger Barbs thrive. I've successfully kept Tiger Barbs as well as many other varieties of Barbs, long term at different intervals throughout four decades.
I've found all varieties of Barbs to be very adaptive. IMO, ideal water parameters for Tiger barb are extremely broad and pin pointing an exact preferred parameter and temperature range to be very difficult. I've got to say that Tiger Barbs have always been one of my favorites.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Karen627
Replies
Views
Basil
  • Question
Replies
Views
Azedenkae
Replies