Ideal tank temp for marigold platys and amano shrimp

1. v

vasyat Valued Member Member

Hi. I have a 16 gallon tank with marigold platys and amano shrimp. I'm currently keeping the tank at 78 degrees but was told at the LFS that's too high. Is 75-76 the ideal temp for both the fish and platys? I've found a lot of conflicting opinions on the Internet so any thoughts or opinions would be much appreciated.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. FallenOwl

FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

Anywhere from 75-77F should be ok

3. o

oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello vas....

Most tropical fish are good with water in the 75 to 80 degree range. They'll live longer in cooler water. I keep Red Wag and Sunset Platys in 75 degree water. The bigger issue is putting large, livebearing fish in such a small tank. Platy females get quite large, about 2 inches or a bit more. That's a big fish for 16 gallons of water. Livebearers are fast breeders and can reproduce every 25 days or so. They'll be crowded in your small tank. Crowding is stressful and a lot of fish in a small tank is bound to create water issues. You'll need to be a good water changer.

Good luck.

Old

4. OP
    OP
    v

vasyat Valued Member Member

Thanks, salt. The platys are all male, which I think stay smaller than the females (and eliminates the possibility of fry). I've been doing 25% water changes weekly and so far (1 month since I got them), the parameters have been ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, nitrate 5. The tank is moderately planted so I hope that helps.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app