Ideal tank temp for marigold platys and amano shrimp

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by vasyat, Jun 24, 2016.

1. v

vasyat Valued Member Member

Hi. I have a 16 gallon tank with marigold platys and amano shrimp. I'm currently keeping the tank at 78 degrees but was told at the LFS that's too high. Is 75-76 the ideal temp for both the fish and platys? I've found a lot of conflicting opinions on the Internet so any thoughts or opinions would be much appreciated.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. FallenOwl

FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

Anywhere from 75-77F should be ok

3. o

oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello vas....

Most tropical fish are good with water in the 75 to 80 degree range. They'll live longer in cooler water. I keep Red Wag and Sunset Platys in 75 degree water. The bigger issue is putting large, livebearing fish in such a small tank. Platy females get quite large, about 2 inches or a bit more. That's a big fish for 16 gallons of water. Livebearers are fast breeders and can reproduce every 25 days or so. They'll be crowded in your small tank. Crowding is stressful and a lot of fish in a small tank is bound to create water issues. You'll need to be a good water changer.

Good luck.

Old

4. OP
    OP
    v

vasyat Valued Member Member

Thanks, salt. The platys are all male, which I think stay smaller than the females (and eliminates the possibility of fry). I've been doing 25% water changes weekly and so far (1 month since I got them), the parameters have been ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, nitrate 5. The tank is moderately planted so I hope that helps.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice