Question Ideal space between vertical tanks?

Mhamilton0911

Well Known
Reaction score
I am planning on building a multiple tank rack. What is the ideal space between the tanks vertically, so there is space for managing each tank? I was thinking of using 5 gallon tanks, single, one on each level.
I'm in planning stage so to work with measurements I have to figure this part out and I'm stumped. Is 6" enough to get in there for cleaning or whatever? Or am I underestimating?

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Id say it all depends on your full setup as well. If you use sponge filters , then you need room for air pumps. If you run co2, then you need room for that as well. Though you won't really know till you test it out!

Theres also the chance of contamination from other tanks if they have no hoods as well.

If you dont run extra filtration canisters or co2, then I wouldnt worry too much on extra spacing. 6 inchs of space sounds fine, but if youre that worried then go for an even 10inch of space for ease of mind. I just wouldnt have them side by side, could cause stress with territorial fish if they see other fish!

I do feel though spacing aquariums is a personal preference on how far away or where to place them. I dont think having them too close or too far away will really affect maintenance.
Do be cautious of outlets and power supply's though!

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reaction score
Mhamilton0911 said:
I am planning on building a multiple tank rack. What is the ideal space between the tanks vertically, so there is space for managing each tank? I was thinking of using 5 gallon tanks, single, one on each level.
I'm in planning stage so to work with measurements I have to figure this part out and I'm stumped. Is 6" enough to get in there for cleaning or whatever? Or am I underestimating?
I personally have 8in. I see people with less but I find this to be great for me. Some times still kinda tight but works perfect for my space

Sorry tank lights off or on night mode

Attachments

John58ford

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
6 might be a little tight, if you are doing a diy rack from lumber there will actually be additional hollow areas to work in. My bottom row has 6.5" my top row has 7.5" the workable space above each is an additional 3" since I made it in 3"x1.5" custom ripped lumber.

I have a much easier time working in the upper tanks personally, but both are very workable with planning. With 5 gallons being pretty small I bet you would be fine with 6". The honest thing to remember is how high the bottom tank is, especially for siphon access, my lower tanks are pretty low and I can only drain them so far before I have to dump half full buckets. It's also slower when the tanks are that close to the floor. I put mine at the heights they are so my children can help out and be involved, so far no regrets.

20200616_164241.jpg

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Honestly, I'd say a foot, I'm tall though and need some room so my head fits above the tank to reach my goofy long arms in and 6 in would be too tight for me, give yourself some working room, if your building from scratch then make a stair case type shelf where the lower shelf is out from directly under the top shelf so you can easily maintain.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
An interesting question.
Looking to answer from another perspective.
You need a few inches under the bottom row of tanks to run a vacuum hose into a bucket. Pumping water out is an option but but something I suggest as a permanent arrangement?

Its nice if possible to be able to reach into the top row without needing to stand on anything. Even nicer if your hand can reach the floor of the top row tanks. That depends on your armpits height.
Both of these measurements are restricted or governed by the tank height ( size) .

My racks are 400mm to the underside on bottom row .
300 mm between glass on each row.
1600 mm to the top row.

Short answer
200 mm / 8 inches
image.jpg
image.jpg
working room between top of tank and bottom of rack is just enough

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Flyfisha said:
An interesting question.
Looking to answer from another perspective.
You need a few inches under the bottom row of tanks to run a vacuum hose into a bucket. Pumping water out is an option but but something I suggest as a permanent arrangement?

Its nice if possible to be able to reach into the top row without needing to stand on anything. Even nicer if your hand can reach the floor of the top row tanks. That depends on your armpits height.
Both of these measurements are restricted or governed by the tank height ( size) .

My racks are 400mm to the underside on bottom row .
300 mm between glass on each row.
1600 mm to the top row.

Short answer
200 mm / 8 inches
image.jpg
image.jpg
working room between top of tank and bottom of rack is just enough
Your pothos propagates well :) I love this set up, it is beautiful. I plan on having a room for my tanks one day as well.

OP
Mhamilton0911

Mhamilton0911

Well Known
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input everyone! I have some general ideas to go with and I'll be sketching a rough draft soon.

I was going with 5 gallons, for ease, for this specific rack. I know i could up this and have so much more, but this will be in a tight spot in my bedroom, so the 5 gallon size works. I want to have a few tanks for guppies. One for the females to drop, and one for growing until sexes show, then one for males and one for females. So I'm trying for 4 tanks. I have a battery pump I can use for the bottom tank if I make it too low. Planning on sponge filters for each and individual heaters, although they'll only be needed in winter.
This is my first set of ideas, and I'm sure this project will be evolving, all tips are welcomed!

New Threads