Ideal Male only Guppy Tank?

FrenchFry

Member
I have attached a photo of my "completed" 10 gallon male-only guppy tank. I plan to add 1 or 2 moss balls, as well. Is it ideal? Is there anything else I can add? I used the TopFin water conditioner and API quick start in the water. Do I need to add anything else?

(Obviously I know it needs to cycle I'm just asking about adding decor/plants to it)

Edit: It was a used tank, I cleaned it up

Thank you!
 

Ghelfaire

Member
Moss balls are also good. If you are doing just males (which I reccomend) then you don't need a ton of live plants.
 

StarGirl

Member
Looks good! Are you planning on keeping the frys? If so you need more bushy plants like the one behind the pony for them to hide in.
 
  • Thread Starter

FrenchFry

Member
Ghelfaire said:
Moss balls are also good. If you are doing just males (which I reccomend) then you don't need a ton of live plants.
Thank you! I am doing only males. I've never had a tank without at least one moss ball.
 
  • Thread Starter

FrenchFry

Member
StarGirl said:
Looks good! Are you planning on keeping the frys? If so you need more bushy plants like the one behind the pony for them to hide in.
The tank is going to be male-only, so hopefully there'll be no fry to keep.
 

Cherryshrimp420

Member
There is going to be a lot of fin nipping in male-only tanks. Just a warning!
 
  • Thread Starter

FrenchFry

Member
Cherryshrimp420 said:
There is going to be a lot of fin nipping in male-only tanks. Just a warning!
There is? I didn't know that. Are they going to fin nip minor (no harm done) or are they going to fin nip a lot (to the point of injury)? Thanks! And also, is there a way to prevent fin-nipping?
 

Ghelfaire

Member
FrenchFry said:
There is? I didn't know that. Are they going to fin nip minor (no harm done) or are they going to fin nip a lot (to the point of injury)? Thanks! And also, is there a way to prevent fin-nipping?
Tall decorations that break lines of sight will help with any nipping issues.
 
  • Thread Starter

FrenchFry

Member
Ghelfaire said:
Tall decorations that break lines of sight will help with any nipping issues.
Thank you! Just to clarify, you mean like tall plants such as maybe amazon sword mimics (fakes)? Like ones with broad leaves that are tall? Thank you.
 

Ghelfaire

Member
FrenchFry said:
Thank you! Just to clarify, you mean like tall plants such as maybe amazon sword mimics (fakes)? Like ones with broad leaves that are tall? Thank you.
Yes
 

Dippiedee

Member
Cute tank
 
  • Thread Starter

FrenchFry

Member
Dippiedee said:
Cute tank
Thank you! I was going for the "castle, princess" theme.
 

Cherryshrimp420

Member
FrenchFry said:
There is? I didn't know that. Are they going to fin nip minor (no harm done) or are they going to fin nip a lot (to the point of injury)? Thanks! And also, is there a way to prevent fin-nipping?
It can get severe to the point where the weakest male dies from being picked on so much. Don't really have a good solution other than having multiple female guppies per male guppy. But that leads to population booms and that's another problem...
 

fishbreeeder

Member
I think you will be fine but when you chose males chose them with small fins!
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view

Top Bottom