Ideal fish for 15g tank? 15 Gallon Tank

1. Shadowbeam Member Member

Heya :)
    My partner is thinking of setting up my 15g (60 litre) tank as a saltwater tank. But neither of us really know where to start with saltwater fish!

We'd love to have a tank including a seahorse but other than that we are looking for fish who would be happy in a 15g.

ANY suggestions or advice would be great!

2. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Hmm 15G isnt much to work with, are you looking for one species or a mixture?

3. Shadowbeam Member Member

That's why I wanted to upgrade my freshwater one hehe, if we can't find any that we really like we will probably sell the 15g.

Tbh I'm not really sure what we want, mainly just after ideas atm, a mixture would be nice but if we found a species we really liked then we'd go for it :)

Sorry to be so vague!

4. platy ben Well Known Member Member

No worries, well I would go for the following:

1 yellow clown goby

1 wrasse, probably a 6 line wrasse :)

and then maybe a skunk cleaner shrimp

5. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

harpua2002 has alot of SW set ups... wait untill she comes along :)

Im no SW keeper, but maybe a type of goby? :;dk

6. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

LOL Tony, I just have one SW tank at the moment but will be setting up a second relatively soon. I started with a nano and upgraded several times. :p

I would not suggest a sixline wrasse (or any type of wrasse) for a 15 gallon. They are active swimmers and need more room IMO. A clown goby would work just fine though.

Seahorses require a lot of care (like target feeding) and tend to do better in species tanks from what I understand. I'd like to keep them as well, but honestly they sound like too much work for me. They aren't a beginner fish, but if you decide to keep them I'd suggest doing a ton of research first.

Some fish that come to mind for a 15 gallon include clownfish (smaller species), smaller gobies, royal gramma, firefish. Take a look at this list of "Nano Fish" and see if any of these appeal to you. :)
    http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+2124

Remember that you can't stock a SW tank nearly as heavily as you can a FW tank of the same size, so you're going to be pretty limited on your stock list. But, that doesn't mean that you can't have a lot of fun with a nano! Plus, there are some really interesting inverts, like shrimp, that you can add to your tank that don't contribute much to the bio load.

7. Shadowbeam Member Member

Ah righty, didn't realise you stocked them differently, got so much to learn about saltwater hehe. Good thing I've given myself plenty of time, only considering it atm.

Thanks for all the info, the link was really helpful! Gave me a good idea of what i could have. In terms of stocking, how many are we talking? I like the look of the firefish and court jester goby for e.g. Could i have both of these in a 15g?

Sorry for all the questions! But I'd rather ask here than my LFS :p

8. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, I think you could have both of those fish. If I'm not mistaken, it can be difficult to get the court jester goby eating, so keep that in mind. It's especially important with marine fish to see the fish eat before you buy it. Most LFS's are really cooperative when you ask to see an animal eat. :)