Ideal Filter Setup?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Aphelion0, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Aphelion0New MemberMember

Hey fishlorians,

So I'm building up my wishlist of things for my new 30gal. Next on my list is filtration. I want to divide the bioload between two filter systems so I have some redundancy if one of them craps out.

I currently have some guppies and am planning to get some shrimp later down the line. Maybe some ottos. I might also explore breeding the guppies. The tank is planted, too, and I'm not sure if I need to consider surface agitation if I ever get a CO2 system.

I'm thinking the best bet for a filter system is a sponge filter (great for shrimp and fry) and a HOB to provide a bit more kick (either an aquaclear or a bio-wheel - haven't decided). , I could even go double sponge. If I fully commit to the plant route and want to stay away from surface agitation, I could go to a cannister filter and a sponge filter with a powerhead, but I assume that'd be very bad for fry and shrimp!

If anyone has any other suggestions on good filter setups, or any general opinions on this idea - whether you think it's good, not so good, whatever you think. I'd love to get some more opinions.

Also, will a HOB fit on the back of a tank if the top is a little bulky where the lid sits? I assume it doesn't need to just be naked glass.

Expertise/experience appreciated! Equally if I'm overthinking all of this, tell me that too. ;)

Edit: I should also mention that this tank is in my bedroom, so noise is a consideration.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  2. BAS AquariumsValued MemberMember

first to answer the question about bulk no it shouldn't matter. I personally run most of my tanks off hob with a large backup sponge in case i need it, which has saved my butt at least once or twice. as for the type of filter i wouldnt go with a bio-wheel not just because in my experience they don't work as promised but they are noisy. IMO you cant go wrong with a c2. My fish room is part of my bedroom and I'm not bothered by my c4 at all.

3. Aphelion0New MemberMember

Thanks so much for the reply. Appreciate your input. I did suspect a bio-wheel might make some noise. Do you think a C3 be overkill if I were using a sponge filter too?

4. BAS AquariumsValued MemberMember

overkill is always a good thing in filtration lol

5. NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

I would build a sump. I am biased because all my tanks are on sumps but i keep cichlids and sumps are pretty much amazing for a big bioload.

6. SwampgorillaValued MemberMember

Sump is the best route - if you have room for it.

Bio-wheels, I don't consider them much good for anything but a little mechanical filtration ... and they do help clear up water because those cartridges have carbon embedded them - but not much room for bio-filtration.

7. NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

you can load up a HOB with lava rock and ditch the cartridge, but a sump would be better.

8. TexasGuppyWell Known MemberMember

I tried doing a sump, but the HOB vacuum system I built was way too noisy. The quiet solutions appear to require drilled holes in the tank. Can most tanks be drilled? My expensive Fluval 406 won't clear out my water very good at all... upsetting.

9. NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

Texas (pewpew) dont drill it. You can make a nice quiet flow overflow for your sump with some pvc and do a durso. I have one on all my tanks including the 55 gallon in my bedroom. The loudest part is the trickle tower and thats pretty much just soothing

10. TexasGuppyWell Known MemberMember

My trickle was more like a constant gurgle. Wife made me change it out.

11. NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

Yeah a durso will fix that. I got the raised eyebrow when i first started using overflows but ive incorporated alot of quieting designs. the height of the the waterfall and possible back pressure have alot to do with the sound. The other part is throttling outlet flow with a globe valve and not a ball valve. You see most people using ball valves as the only valve. There is nothing about a ball valve that lends to throttling. Globe valves are designed for it.

12. Aphelion0New MemberMember

Thanks everyone!

A sump... now there's an idea. If something's worth doing, it's probably worth overdoing.

Is there a chance that a sump could be dangerous for fry and shrimp, though?

13. TexasGuppyWell Known MemberMember

As long as you have mesh protecting inflow, but regular filters have same issue.

14. NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

All you need is some plastic window screen mesh at your weir inlet and you will be dry danger free.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice