Idea For Hospital Tank And Isolating Fish

1. R

Ryukinmom New Member Member

In case you don't see this in another response, I wanted to pass along an idea that helped my fancies' convalescence- I have lost some of my big fancies when I have moved them to a separate hospital tank - different environment, size, water environment- who knows why. I found these little plastic baskets for a $1.00 (dollar tree) - they float in the tank, ,are large enough to give the isolated fish plenty of room, they couldn't see her, I could see her through the little handles and it allowed continuous clean temperature stable water exchange as it floated and the water entered and exited the handle openings (so it works for tropicals and fancies). I kept my hurt ryuykin in one for days and have since used them for hatching and raising pleco fry in the main tank (just added an air stone for agitation) and even isolated fish needing medication by reducing the amount of water in the basket below the handles so the basket floats higher and fish and meds stay in the basket without affecting the other fish or the tank. They come in various sizes as well. Hope this helps!

Attached Files:

2. appcontrol

appcontrol Valued Member Member

Yes it is ok alternative to real hospital tank, but isolateing fish and leaving tank water mix with water inside of that floating isolation dosent have sense beacuose all parasites, bacteria spread trough water so it's a same if you isolate it like that or just left it in tank. In a core it's the same thing if you use mesh box inside of tank
    And part with lovering water and medication doesn't do anything beacuose that box is then in tank only for temparature reason and dosent have flow, water exchange, filtration.

Better alternative is if you use that box out of tank and add small filter and heater until you see how your fish is doing, or for space purposes you can leave it in tank make sure water from tank and isolation dosent mix and add
    small filter or at least airston with cycled sponge.

Not hating just pointing out some disadvantages of that system.

Good luck

3. OP
    OP
    R

The point is that I didn’t want To introduce the isolated fish into a different environment when it was already compromised. The post describes alternatives to keep the water separate if desired.

4. appcontrol

appcontrol Valued Member Member

Yes i understand but it is red box so fish isn't in her normal environment and she doesn't see it so i don't see how is that different from moving it in another aquarium.

But we can go like this for years wit pluses and minuses.

If it works for you i am glad but that i would recomend it over hospital/quarantine tank i wouldn't.

5. OP
    OP
    R

I thought this post deserved one more attempt at clarification before giving up - Here is the bin - full of water and floating around. Pearl- a large, very round Ryukin- woke up with typical Ryukin issues- upside down from last night's dinner's effect on her swim bladder (no worries-she has had her peas this morning and will soon feel better). She is also a very sexy fish to the male hound dog goldfish(es) she lives with who would not let her alone this morning. I wanted to isolate her but not shock her by introducing her to a separate and unfamiliar hospital tank (yes, the bin is unfamiliar but she can see out and the water parameters are the same in the bin as they are in her tank). Pearl can see out, I can see in and no one is bothering her. After a few hours, when she is her normal right-side up self and the men have focused their interest elsewhere, I will return Pearl to her normal home - without injury.

Attached Files:

6. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

I see what you're saying, but being in a confined space can be just as stressful. I've moved pregnant livebearers to breeder nets, and almost every time they get stressed and I end up moving them back to the main tank to give birth.

7. OP
    OP
    R

I understand there may be no perfect solution - this is what Pearl looked like before I invested $1.00 for this bin and left her in the tank when the boys were in the mood for love. Seems like the temporary stress while staying in her own water environment is better than her being beaten up by her anxious Romeos. After breeding and raising fancies, tropicals (including a million albino long-fin bristlenose fry) and marine tanks over the last 50 years, this was the best solution I have found for temporary isolation- just saying...

And this is Pearl 5 minutes ago- without injury from her boyfriends.

Attached Files:

8. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

Thank you for sharing your solution for helping out your stressed out little lady. Sounds like it helps her. Might not work for everyone but I am glad it works well for you.

9. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

If it works for you, then that's great! She's pretty :)