Idea for anchoring plants

nanzey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm switching out my gravel for sand this week in a 10 gal. Currently have a couple of ferns and the entire back wall lined with swords.
I am assuming the swords will stay down in the sand, but am stumped for something to anchor the ferns. Currently a little gravel holds them down with most of the roots exposed.
I have a piece of driftwood I can anchor one of them to if necessary but the other one will be placed too far away.
I know I can order plant weights or aquarium stone but I was wondering if there are any other creative solutions I may be missing.
Thanks!

TheRedItalian

Reaction score
I'm switching out my gravel for sand this week in a 10 gal. Currently have a couple of ferns and the entire back wall lined with swords.
I am assuming the swords will stay down in the sand, but am stumped for something to anchor the ferns. Currently a little gravel holds them down with most of the roots exposed.
I have a piece of driftwood I can anchor one of them to if necessary but the other one will be placed too far away.
I know I can order plant weights or aquarium stone but I was wondering if there are any other creative solutions I may be missing.
Thanks!
At my LFS they use 1/4 " wide strips of Led and wrap the bottom of the plants

superbutterfly12

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tie it to a few washers? A piece of rock or a small glass jar? Clean of course. I've been using plastic embroidery canvas and fishing line to make plants do what i want. Might be able to tie or stick through a small square of that and bury it in enough sand to hold that down. It floats though so might not work.

Mike_Syr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Will twist ties work? Can they be used to attach a washer or other weight? I am not sure if a twist tie would be good in the water.

mschwegler

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
twist ties have a metal core, and covered in plastic or paper. If that outer covering is compromised and the metal is not stainless then it will rust and leach into your water. You may be able to get away with it but i personally would not use it

You could use cable ties (aka zip-ties) as they are all plastic, or garden twine, or sewing thread, or glue it to a decoration, or glue a string to an old piece of gravel, tie the string to the plant and bury the gravel under the sand.

P.S. can you mail me some twin trees pizza?

Mike_Syr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am a block from Twin Trees and Twin Trees 2 near the Syracuse/Solvay Line, Doo you have a preference?

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could also ziptie it to a suction cup then you could put it where ever you want on the side or back of the tank. Alison

mschwegler

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am a block from Twin Trees and Twin Trees 2 near the Syracuse/Solvay Line, Doo you have a preference?
I kid! I used to travel to SYR for work all the time until I was laid off in Feb. I would stay in Mattydale and go to the one in N. Syracuse. I think it was Twin Trees 3 on HWY 11.

My wife doesn't like pizza so that's usually all I would eat when I was there. That and chicken riggies.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom