Idea for a YouTube group/content coop

MoshJosh

I Fishlore YouTube channel? Just a weird idea/thought experiment I guess

I wanted to start a YouTube for a long time, A. cause I watch a lot of YouTube and B. cause I like sharing the stuff I do. . .

that said I feel like there are a couple barriers.

firstly I know nothing about video editing audio engineering etc.

But also I don’t know that I have enough fish/aquariums to really provide enough content for a channel dedicated to Fish.

I like to think a lot of the things I do are cool/interesting and there’s a lot of other fish lorains who do cool/interesting stuff, individually we may not have a lot in the way of content but together I’m sure we can make a ton

So I had an idea, and it’s just an idea, not something I’m actually pursuing, but what about a group of fish people who would be interested in making a fish channel. You could get content from the entire group, which would hopefully give you a lot of diverse content but also a steady stream of content. And then everyone could bring their talents to the table.

I am sure there are other channels that do similar things, certainly other channels that aren’t Fish related do this, but most of the Fish/Aquascape channels I see seem to be just one person making content or providing the content.

There are certainly more barriers than the ones I have listed and probably many more than I’ve even thought of. And on top of that it would be a huge time investment for some if not all of the members. But was just something I was thinking about.

Betta'sAnonymous

I have been thinking along the lines of a youtube channel as well, but in my case, a friend of mine said it best: "i keep thinking about doing youtube videos, but most of the stuff i do regularly, there are at least 6 videos out there for that exact thing already!"

However, i do like the idea of like a collaboration like you mentioned. All i have on my youtube anyway are little shorts of aquatic critters i made lol

betta06

i movie is a great free online editing app I use it for my youtube channel.

SouthAmericanCichlids

That would be awesome! Have a few conversations on here, video ideas, information for the videos we decide, and then maybe an editor/video maker convo. I would be so down for that, for info, video clips, and possibly even voice clips. We would come up with different video ideas, post them and get all the info everyone knows for that topic and then we get a few people to edit it into a video and talk, and then we'd share clips of the fish or thing we're talking about in the background. And we'd give a week for everyone to put their info for that certain topic and have a few editors. That would be probably more informative than many other channels as it shows the experience of many fishkeepers instead of that of just 1 or 2.

Evergreen2

I've been in the same boat. Definitely interested!!!

SouthAmericanCichlids

You could put up a poll seeing if people would be interested. Have options asking what all they could contribute:

Yes for information

Yes for editing

Yes for fish video clips

Yes for voice overs

Script writer

p.s. If you all are seriously thinking about this we should probably @ some people to see if they want to do it, to get more people seeing this.

marmaaa

I got some editing skills; maybe I could help out? it would be fun if this worked out!

StarGirl

I have zero skills but interested if this works. I guess information would be my best asset.

Sofiafish17

I love this idea moderators take note!
Mike
Lucy
Coradee
Those are the mods I see a lot, I’m pretty sure they get an alert if I mention them right? If not then I will look silly for writing this haha.

SouthAmericanCichlids

You have to put an @ before their names. But I think we are have to do it withmods permission, unless we link back to fishlore, saying we come from there, and then I don't know what requirements we'd have but I would think since we met here it'd only be fair to link back.

Mike Lucy Coradee

Sofiafish17

Oh okay thank you.

erinw347

I would definitely be interested.

I think if this goes anywhere obviously anyone who would be contributing would need to be in contact with each other, so maybe we can start a discord server? That way all communication is through a secure website. I’d definitely be up to making it too.

Coradee

Hi, we did used you have a Fishlore youtube group thing though I’m not sure how it worked.
FishLore YouTube Group Forum
To set up something like you’re suggesting Mike would have do it if it’s even possible I don’t know, he’ll have to fill you in on that.
As for having a discord group that idea has been brought up several times & the answer would be a No.

emeraldking

It wouild an interesting idea to do this. But I don't know how practical it will be with multiple people involved.
I've got my own youtube channel. But doing this on my own works for me. You should have all your heads in the same direction to let it work.

GuppyOverlord11

So are you thinking like all the people post fish videos under the same account? Interesting... I might be interested.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Coradee said:
Hi, we did used you have a Fishlore youtube group thing though I’m not sure how it worked.
FishLore YouTube Group Forum
To set up something like you’re suggesting Mike would have do it if it’s even possible I don’t know, he’ll have to fill you in on that.
As for having a discord group that idea has been brought up several times & the answer would be a No.
Well we can always just use multiple conversations on here for all of us instead.
SouthAmericanCichlids said:
You could put up a poll seeing if people would be interested. Have options asking what all they could contribute:

Yes for information

Yes for editing

Yes for fish video clips

Yes for voice overs

Script writer

p.s. If you all are seriously thinking about this we should probably @ some people to see if they want to do it, to get more people seeing this.
MoshJosh could you put up a poll for this also, because we can definitely go without voice overs or script writers, but if we don't have editors than the whole thing wouldn't really work.

Patman0519

I have a youtube channel for my fish stuff, have up 6 videos,mostly of my filter set up in my 135 gallon.
My filter is 7 feet long and an interesting device lol

MoshJosh

Some thoughts/ideas:

I guess it would have to be decided would it be free form-ish. . . Like if you are a contributor can you just post willy-nilly (within reason), or would it be more refined like the group decides a topic, info is presented/voted on, video created and voted on?

The later is more appealing to me (maybe because it would produce a more "traditional" product and I'm an old fart who hates change), though, the former has its own appeal, almost like a youtube channel social media platform fusion.

Either way there would need to be moderation/moderators/leaders.

Another idea: creating generic book ends for all videos, feel like this wouldn't be to difficult but add production value.

Other thoughts:

there would need to be all kinds of voting on narration VS onscreen text

does each member narrate their own video clips or is there an appointed narrator with a scrip

(I would vote onscreen text. . . Make life easier)

there would (likely) need to be quality standards (though this would limit some people from posting content). By standards I mean like video or audio would need to deemed of high enough quality to be posted. . . though again this could be limiting.

Some thoughts on a "free form" style: You could have a set of standards/guidelines and then shared assets (like sound assets, music, intros, outros, ect) then each member could cobble together a video, that would be tweaked, voted on, then posted. . .

Also I should clarify this idea doesn’t necessarily need to be linked or not linked to Fishlore itself. I was mainly saying “Fishlore YouTube” as an example. Being directly affiliated would likely open a big ole can of worms. . . Likely easier if it were independent of this or any other forum. . . I could be wrong though. . .

mrsP

I can't offer much, but perhaps my Hillstream loach tank and how they breed could be mildly interesting? I have no clue how to edit, or voice over or any of that, or having my face or voice anywhere to be seen or heard. I'm shy.

Evergreen2

I could do a bit of video editing. Provided it's more towards the simple end of things. MoshJosh does put out a lot of the logistical issues. Perhaps divide into teams like Team A and B depending on the amount of interested parties? If there are a lot perhaps there could be two sister channels with the two different styles that MoshJosh mentioned.

Discord could be useful, however for the less technically inclined people it might be a tad bit intimidating. I'm not a gamer and Discord is still a bit intimidating for me as I am of the oldest Gen Z crowd.

Bruinfishkeeper1

There's one thing I've learned about youtube and its that if you want to be successful or even remotely successful its all about commitment and time. Back about 7-10 yrs ago you could start up a youtube channel fairly easily and it could work and have a good chance of being a good channel. But i think one thing that a lot of people have failed to understand is is that Youtube these days isn't exactly a part time gig (not saying it can't be but its extremely hard to balance. You see, being successful on YouTube is all about ways to configure the algorithm to work for you (or you work for the algorithm). It will require high amounts of consistency, lots of time, and there needs to be set goals within the channel organizers. Another thing is is that you would need topics to stand out. You won't need a video titled "How To Breed Honey Gouramis", but rather should have a video, "The best secret to breeding Honey Gouramis". As negative as I may have seemed there, I actually do support this. In fact I would be down to help. I just wanted to provide some info on some of the beginning logistical path to youtube.
That being said... I could help with Strategizing. I could also read the script for others that don't want to. I also have some editing expirence (I have the DaVinchi Resolve editor)

MoshJosh

mrsP said:
I can't offer much, but perhaps my Hillstream loach tank and how they breed could be mildly interesting? I have no clue how to edit, or voice over or any of that, or having my face or voice anywhere to be seen or heard. I'm shy.
Was thinking “compilation” videos could be cool. Assuming they were simple to make you could do like “community tanks” or “breeding” and people could upload say 30 second bits of content that would get compiled into a longer vid.
Bruinfishkeeper1 said:
There's one thing I've learned about youtube and its that if you want to be successful or even remotely successful its all about commitment and time. Back about 7-10 yrs ago you could start up a youtube channel fairly easily and it could work and have a good chance of being a good channel. But i think one thing that a lot of people have failed to understand is is that Youtube these days isn't exactly a part time gig (not saying it can't be but its extremely hard to balance. You see, being successful on YouTube is all about ways to configure the algorithm to work for you (or you work for the algorithm). It will require high amounts of consistency, lots of time, and there needs to be set goals within the channel organizers. Another thing is is that you would need topics to stand out. You won't need a video titled "How To Breed Honey Gouramis", but rather should have a video, "The best secret to breeding Honey Gouramis". As negative as I may have seemed there, I actually do support this. In fact I would be down to help. I just wanted to provide some info on some of the beginning logistical path to youtube.
That being said... I could help with Strategizing. I could also read the script for others that don't want to. I also have some editing expirence (I have the DaVinchi Resolve editor)
I think you’re totally right.

I guess you have to ask what the goal is?

I CANT imagine as a fishtube group money would be a viable goal. . . I think solo youtubers struggle to pay the bills.

If the goal is to spread info/get people interested in fish I guess views would be the goal. . . That means playing to the algorithm as well.

If the goal is to have fun. . . Well that seems viable but that means people gotta be willing to sacrifice time in the name of fun. . . I think it would also mean the process would have to be easy/simple enough that people would be willing to participate.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Well most of us can provide info, but many of us can't edit so what I thought could be a possibility. Is we choose topics, quote the topic with all info you know of the topic. Then someone compiles all the info into a script, someone reads it (or skip this step and just have text) and then an editor would edit it together. That way those of us who don't know how to edit can still participate.

Bruinfishkeeper1

MoshJosh said:
Was thinking “compilation” videos could be cool. Assuming they were simple to make you could do like “community tanks” or “breeding” and people could upload say 30 second bits of content that would get compiled into a longer vid.

I think you’re totally right.

I guess you have to ask what the goal is?

I CANT imagine as a fishtube group money would be a viable goal. . . I think solo youtubers struggle to pay the bills.

If the goal is to spread info/get people interested in fish I guess views would be the goal. . . That means playing to the algorithm as well.

If the goal is to have fun. . . Well that seems viable but that means people gotta be willing to sacrifice time in the name of fun. . . I think it would also mean the process would have to be easy/simple enough that people would be willing to participate.
Yeah that I agree with. The main goal cannot be about money. I'd rather donate any profits we get then have everyone get like a couple bucks a month lol.
We also have to figure out who's in. Who's willing to put in the work for this. In my opinion everyone should be able to suggest and create a topic, but at the end of the day we do need a smaller group of people that consists of editors, strategizes, script readers, and organizers. As fun as it would be to this, we can't have 30 people sharing one password and uploading videos lol.

Me personally.... I have some editing skills and my friend got me a nice editor but as for as my time and commitment goes, I can't bring much within this next month. Possibly in mid-june I could. As for now I would probably just help organize and strategize the operation. I've worked well with the algorithm and I have lot of experience in strategizing in that stuff. I could also help with organizing the videos in terms of an order of when people should go. Also I was thinking that we do either two things, Have the person providing the info write bullet points on the topic, or just making a script and someone else editing (like checking the script).

Spudsssy

Super idea! I used to make video's over 10 years ago on YouTube. I was a YouTube partner and made some money until life got in the way!

I've been playing with the idea of resurrecting the channel again...... but I'm not committed to weekly content.

I could for sure imagine a fishlore YouTube channel for fish profiles and educational material. A template could be created to keep every video consistent and text only with some royalty free music to avoid complications with editing. A thread could be created to collect images and video's for a certain species each week and then a video could be edited into a fish profile video.

It could evolve from fish profiles into... 'plant profiles' 'Aquascaping' 'Biotopes' 'Water chemistry'....

It would need a core group of editors to make weekly video's..... 1 video a week at minimum would be manageable for sure to keep the channel going.

lt would require someone to manage the whole thing which is quite a commitment though haha.

SouthAmericanCichlids

So what way have we decided to do it? All upload different videos, or a set of editors, writers, etc.

How bout we have a vote, if you think we should do it where we all upload separate videos put a thanks reaction on this post, if the other way stated a welcome reaction. The reactions are completely random, also how long should we wait for this?

MoshJosh Spudsssy Bruinfishkeeper1 Evergreen2 mrsP Patman0519 GuppyOverlord11 emeraldking erinw347 Sofiafish17 StarGirl marmaaa betta06 Betta'sAnonymous babyfish Kribensis27

Bruinfishkeeper1

We should wait about two days for the poll. I believe that we should have a set of editors and writers and videomakers (who read the scripts). All members on fishlore can help pitch in video ideas and right scripts.

I feel like Separate videos would be way too messy and having everyone sharing the same password is too risky

SouthAmericanCichlids

Whatever the score is add a welcome reaction vote (That's mine).

erinw347

I would definitely be into making videos, providing clips of fish, and voiceovers.

marmaaa

Okay so just to be clear is one of the ideas where people can record their own vids but in the end the editor will edit it and upload right? Like we can come up with a weekly vid, people record and then edit upload? Cause everyone uploading their own vid can get messy and in reality giving the password to one account to 20 people just wont work. I can edit vids and record my own clips once I get a new camera for better quality. I have some spare time throughout the day so once a week should be fine for me.

SouthAmericanCichlids

One is each person comes up with their own video ideas, voices them, edits them, writes them, and then finally we okay it with the group then upload (thanks reaction), the other option (Welcome reaction) we can all come up with ideas, we get information from everyone, someone puts all of it into a script, someone voices it, and someone edits it and uploads.

MoshJosh

Yeah, I guess we could vote on how People want things to be done, that said, it doesn’t necessarily need to be one of the two options that have been discussed rather a hybrid of the two I don’t know. As far as upload schedule I saw somebody mention it I was thinking if we do end up trying to make some videos a good goal might be one video a month to start with as people would pretty much be volunteering their time for free editors and contributors. But yeah if we want to set up a poll and see who’s interested that might be a good idea too. I don’t know. I’m glad to see there’s a lot of people interested in this idea though.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Yeah, could you put up a poll on this thread, and have a 3rd option as a hybrid an we can discuss what that would look like if it wins.

SouthAmericanCichlids

If we do have it where scripts are written separately from the poster of the vid. And we have all the info combined, we should probably have someone who hasn't given info write it, so it is unbiased.

marmaaa

Are we going to start a convo on fishlore seperately for how we are going to plan it? Or is there better alternatives?

SouthAmericanCichlids

I think we're going to, but we have to wait for everyone to get a chance to be in it by leaving their names on the threads. And depending on what way we decide to make vids we may need multiple groups.

Mike

Pretty busy with work stuff for the next several days but I asked siri to remind me to research setting something up on youtube this weekend. I need to look at how I had set it up previously. If I recall correctly, any vids posted on the forum would show up under the Fishlore channel automatically.

MoshJosh

So the results are in:

13 said they would like to contribute content
6 said they would like to contribute other skills

There is a tie between those who would like to post group videos and those who would like to post group videos and independent videos. . .

In my eyes that means group and independent wins as people posting independently "in theory" would not negatively effect a group posting. That said there would probably need to be rules/standards. Possibly 1 independent post per week per contributor, and independent videos would need to be screened/approved for content appropriateness and quality?

Initial goals:

Establish who is contributing, and what they are contributing (and find a way to communicate. . . maybe a separate "exclusive" thread. . . is that a thing?)

Establish rules/standards that the group agrees on.

create assets (intro, outro, credits, music, logo, or whatever is needed)

Establish posting schedule (my vote 1 group video a month)

Vote on content.

????

Oh. . . and it probably needs a name right?

Sofiafish17

What about
Fishlore FINatics
as a name?
That’s just my idea, everyone should suggest an idea for a name if they have one.

Evergreen2

Sofiafish17 said:
What about
Fishlore FINatics
as a name?
That’s just my idea, everyone should suggest an idea for a name if they have one.
I love that. It's a really good one.

SouthAmericanCichlids

How about aquarium co-op? Wait...

MoshJosh

Sofiafish17 said:
What about
Fishlore FINatics
as a name?
I’m just not sure it should be “officially” linked to Fishlore. . . I’m not sure that’s allowed?
Anyone want to pitch ideas for first group video. My vote for a "community tank" video.

Bruinfishkeeper1

MoshJosh said:
So the results are in:

13 said they would like to contribute content
6 said they would like to contribute other skills

There is a tie between those who would like to post group videos and those who would like to post group videos and independent videos. . .

In my eyes that means group and independent wins as people posting independently "in theory" would not negatively effect a group posting. That said there would probably need to be rules/standards. Possibly 1 independent post per week per contributor, and independent videos would need to be screened/approved for content appropriateness and quality?

Initial goals:

Establish who is contributing, and what they are contributing (and find a way to communicate. . . maybe a separate "exclusive" thread. . . is that a thing?)

Establish rules/standards that the group agrees on.

create assets (intro, outro, credits, music, logo, or whatever is needed)

Establish posting schedule (my vote 1 group video a month)

Vote on content.

????

Oh. . . and it probably needs a name right?
Im not quite sure if we should do independent. I just feel like it would be really disorganized. Not mentioning the different style of video being posted because of independent video makers. Not to mention that the quality of each should be the same since we have to be consistent.

I personally don't see the Independent posting to work, at a larger scale (like having tons of people saying that they one post their own videos) but may work if contained into a certain extent.

I think that in terms of independent content should baiscally be providing your own clips, and dialogue/voiceover, and sending it in to be edited and to be posted by the main people that set this up. Although that being said someone could even edit their own video as long as it stays consistent to the type of editing and content that would be a norm for the channel

(By the way I hope im not coming off as controlling or anything like that, just suggestions lol :)

In this thread that I posted for a poll on this topic, the second person posting made a really good point
Fishlore Youtube organization poll | FishLore YouTube Group Forum | 497800

Also feel free to vote on there!
MoshJosh said:
I’m just not sure it should be “officially” linked to Fishlore. . . I’m not sure that’s allowed?
Anyone want to pitch ideas for first group video. My vote for a "community tank" video.
I think community tank stuff would be a good sorta intro video to the channel however (how I stated towards the start of this thread) that we do need to play around with the algorithm and find things that are interesting that can reach audiences on a level of wanting to click on the video. Maybe even come up with some cool series on crazy fish stories lol.

As far as promoting the channel we can do this through stuff like Instagram and Tiktok, through making shorts on there which attracts people to our youtube channel.

Also I think its important to note that there is a possibility that our channel could be successful and making ad revenue. I would say that it is obviously out of the picture to split the money between each other. So I was thinking about something like Donating to causes of helping restore Coral Reefs or something else that is marine ecosystem related.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Bruinfishkeeper1 said:
Im not quite sure if we should do independent. I just feel like it would be really disorganized. Not mentioning the different style of video being posted because of independent video makers. Not to mention that the quality of each should be the same since we have to be consistent.

I personally don't see the Independent posting to work, at a larger scale (like having tons of people saying that they one post their own videos) but may work if contained into a certain extent.

I think that in terms of independent content should baiscally be providing your own clips, and dialogue/voiceover, and sending it in to be edited and to be posted by the main people that set this up. Although that being said someone could even edit their own video as long as it stays consistent to the type of editing and content that would be a norm for the channel

(By the way I hope im not coming off as controlling or anything like that, just suggestions lol :)

In this thread that I posted for a poll on this topic, the second person posting made a really good point
Fishlore Youtube organization poll | FishLore YouTube Group Forum | 497800

Also feel free to vote on there!

I think community tank stuff would be a good sorta intro video to the channel however (how I stated towards the start of this thread) that we do need to play around with the algorithm and find things that are interesting that can reach audiences on a level of wanting to click on the video. Maybe even come up with some cool series on crazy fish stories lol.

As far as promoting the channel we can do this through stuff like Instagram and Tiktok, through making shorts on there which attracts people to our youtube channel.

Also I think its important to note that there is a possibility that our channel could be successful and making ad revenue. I would say that it is obviously out of the picture to split the money between each other. So I was thinking about something like Donating to causes of helping restore Coral Reefs or something else that is marine ecosystem related.
I completely agree with this, but on the other poll thread the winner is a hibrid. On another topic, do we want to be associated with FL. If we have it in our name, we'd probably have to be moderated by the mods while doing it. And it would probably just take longer in general, just a thought.
If we decide against being associated with fishlore, (And just link saying we met there) then an idea for the name could be The Aquarists. Or The Community Tank. As most of us have a lot of experience on community tanks, and we are like a community. I also think our name should probably let people know that we are a group instead of an individual.

NevermindIgnoreMe

I think that's a really neat idea.
I would like to contribute if you do this. I could do anything you need, my strengths would be in writing, scripting, editing (scripts, giving suggestions, not specifically video editing, though I will if you need me to), art, and information/research. If you need me to do something else I can probably figure it out.

MoshJosh

So are we wanting to give this a try y’all?

Evergreen2

There's no reason why not to try.

Mike

After researching this it seems like it will be much more difficult to get this going than I was originally thinking... In the past any vids posted here on the forum were automatically linked/added to the fishlore youtube channel but it looks like youtube stopped supporting "group" type things many years ago.

I'm looking into another option, maybe even another fishlore sister website to host videos then we could do collaborative things like this perhaps.

MoshJosh said:
Please don't use the Fishlore name if you create a channel.

Mike

Update: for youtube, I think we might be able to do this with playlists... I've created a "Freshwater Aquarium Videos" playlist if someone wants to help me test it out by adding a video of their own to it. I just need to send you the collaborator link to allow you to add vids to the playlist. Let me know if you are interested.

Being a collaborator would you allow you to add/delete videos to the playlists. Then I can link those playlists here on fishlore somewhere so we can get to them easily.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom