ID

1. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

i decided to open a new thread, as it is a different topic. If it is in the wrong section i apologize.

So, my beloved new pet has an identity crisis... we dont know what he is.

446.jpg
    445.jpg
    444.jpg
    447.jpg 448.jpg

I have been researching, and found this guy, a Vieja Fenestratus. It kinda looks like him...

[​IMG]

Mine has just begun getting some red on his back fin... and there are spots all over the body too...

Please help me. I need to know if he will live comfortably in my 35g. I truly am worried.

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

still my guess is a female con...give her time to acclimate and get use to a new tank...couple weeks of a good diet and love from you, i bet you will have your answer :)

as long as she is healthy and playing nice, a few weeks no matter what she is, wont hurt anything...you worry too much ;)

3. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

LOL i do dont i?

She isnt playing so nice though... she's begun taking over the tank... and she's uprooting all my plants :;fru
    gotta love her though :)
    oh, btw, they love guppy fry :giggle:

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

all cons uproot real plants..and constantly find my silks floating also LOL ..nor do they play nice....buggers! mine have all been angels lately tho...mama and papa jd have kept them all in line with their new spawn LOL ..its the only time I see cons act like wimps...course all my cons are fems in that tank but 1 male i havent been able to catch yet !! grrr ..come for a visit tony? ;D

5. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

:;laughing
    LOL my plants are silk... the thing is it was under a boulder rock :;dk

LOL I've been tempted to get another cichlid for the tank... though i dont know if it is possible in there... i am pretty sure that the female con (the large one) is full grown...
    what are my chances?

6. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

im not one to ask as i push the limit with my kids lol...you might freak at some of my setups :whistling:

you know your fish best...and with all cichlids, tons of caves and hiding spots they can go inside of, are key.... and no i dont think its an african cichlid hybrid..but thats just my opinion ;)

8. Slug Well Known Member Member

Looks like a Male convict to me.

9. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Tony. The fish is beautiful.
    :animal0068:I moved your thread to the "Fish ID HELP" section of the forum.
    Thanks!
    Ken

10. pepetj Well Known Member Member

I see that too. A male Convict.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

11. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

the fins are not pointed enough to be a male. the color separation in the middle is throwing me off. it looks cool though.

12. Slug Well Known Member Member

Fins are a very bad representation of male and female. I've had females with pointed fins and trailers before. I see no orange scales and it looks like quite a large fish, one that should already be sexually mature. I'll still say male.

Def not a Vieja Fenestratus.

Convicts color and stripe pattern can vary drastically, especially in different tanks and conditions.

13. btate617 Well Known Member Member

Looks like a male cons of sorts to me too.

The only thing I am unsure about are the spots/spangles in the anal fin.

Brian

Also 100% not a Fenestratus

14. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

i stand corrected. i does look stressed though.

15. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry For not getting back to you guys, i had a problem with my internet connection.

He has been with me roughly for 3 weeks. He was kept in a filterless tank, so i know he came from bad conditions. His color has been like this the whole time, although the pink coloration on his gills have lessened, he still presents the lack of color i see in normal convicts. He doesnt have an orange belly (ive tried the method you suggested shawnie and had no egg coloration at all) the blue color on his lower half is pretty weird too, also he has black spots all over, tail, body and some fins as you can see in the pics.