ID (Yellow/Black Striped Cichlid)?

JustAFishServant

A1583342.jpg
This girl's $1 at my local humane society...I have no idea what she is! This is the only picture. An african (bumblebee) perhaps? I'm at a loss.

Demeter

Yup, looks like a bumblebee cichlid. They can be really mean and should only be kept with other african cichlids, preferably other mbuna. It will need something around 55gals.

JustAFishServant

They...should only be kept with other african cichlids, preferably other mbuna...
I have a friend with a 200 gal african cichlid maybe mbuna tank. Not a cichlid expert but I know they're compatible. Would she be fine with them? This guy feeds amazing food, has the tank clean and keeps an eye on them. He has bumblebees already if I'm not mistaken. Fish are horrible presents - trust me, I was once gifted a 15 gal with 6 goldfish "feeders" and rehomed every one of them to a 2000G pond, but he'd appreciate a nice bumblebee adoptee :)

Also, my HS says she's a she...are they correct?

Demeter

Cannot determine gender from that angel and a stressed fish can be hard to sex due to stress coloration and behavior.

If your friend agrees to it then I don’t see why not adding it to the tank. Be sure to quarantine it though to prevent introducing disease.

A201

I think male Bumblebee Mbuna are much darker colored than the Females. They are more or less black when in mating mode.

JustAFishServant

Cannot determine gender from that angel and a stressed fish can be hard to sex due to stress coloration and behavior.

If your friend agrees to it then I don’t see why not adding it to the tank. Be sure to quarantine it though to prevent introducing disease.
Thanks friend. We've always QT our fish for 10 yrs, my family for over 40. I once forgot to QT 6 yrs ago and disaster struck...won't be doing that again o_O

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Balkaran0006
Replies
Views
Coradee
Replies
Views
SpeedyFish
Replies
Views