ID this little guy pls

1. v

varunrao94 Valued Member Member

Hello all, how are you all doing ?
    Had been to LFS today to find a algae eater(bristlenose actually) but found this guy instead. I have no idea what he is but the store guy told me that he is a Indian algae eater , if you all could please help me ID him it would help me a lot, thank you !! 1467355265114.jpg 1467355292969.jpg 1467355301979.jpg

2. T

Teishokue Well Known Member Member

Needs a better photo

3. OP
    OP
    v

Will these do?[​IMG][​IMG]

4. FallenOwl

FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

it looks like a lizard catfish to me

5. A

Aichmalotizo Well Known Member Member

Definitely not a lizard cat.
    It's definitely a indian/Chinese algae eater.
    It's going to get aggressive, and around a foot long. What size tank? If it isn't at least 60 inches long and 18 inches deep you should return it.

6. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

One of the Garra species.

7. A

You sure? It looks like a algae eater to me, just either broad stripes. Domer does agree with you though....

8. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

I would say some sort of Stone Loach, Balitoridae or other close family. These are generally small, preferring cooler water, I believe. But they are supposed to be great algae eaters. I think better information might be available at Seriouslyfish.

Absolutely not Gyrinochielus aymonieri, Chinese Algae Eater. That species has a horizontal line of spots, or just a horizontal line at very small sizes. The transverse bars completely remove this species from consideration.

9. OP
    OP
    v

Thank you all for replying , to double check I just called the LFS guy and he told me that he's sure it's not the Chinese algae eater for sure but he's not sure what it actually is I just want to know whether he is safe for my guppies and Denison barbs (munching happily on the glass algae for now)

10. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

Now that I looked at it again I agree with Chrome that it is a loach and not one of the garra species. Trade name for these guys is lizard loach looks to be one of the Homaloptera or similar species.

11. A

Oh wow, most assuredly what you and chrome are saying. Maybe that's what fallen owl meant as well.

12. FallenOwl

FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

Yes, that's what I meant. My apologies, I was in a rush when I replied to this.

13. OP
    OP
    v

Thank you all !!