ID this light? or: tell me if it's a bad buy Help

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by midthought, Apr 11, 2010.

1. midthought

midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

I'm looking to upgrade my lighting setup for my 29g. I was thinking I'd be fine with 2-3 watts per gallon, but in perusing eBay, I found this 30" PC light with 2 65 watt bulbs for just $100. There's no brand information so I'm having trouble doing the requisite research that I usually do before making purchases. Can anyone help me out? Either ID the light or give a recommendation? Like if it's prone to cause electrical fires, etc. :p Here is the eBay auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350327737473.

I'm also uploading the pictures from the auction, since the auction's closing in something like 10 hours.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  2. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

I can't really say. The output is ok but I can't tell if it will really be any good without details & the link isn't working. Can you edit the link so that I can see details on it?

3. Morgan111

Morgan111Well Known MemberMember

yea it is hard to tell, id worry about the life of the components in the light

4. OP
    OP
    midthought

I fixed the link. Here is info on the auction though...though it's rather minimal, I think.

30'' Power Compact Aquarium Light 2X 65 w/ Moon Lunar

30" Solar Compact Hood. Comes with two 65 watt bulbs, 6500k and Blue Actinic. Has two independent light switches.
    Power: 130 Watt
    Color: Glossy Black
    Dimensions: 30in x 7 1/4in x 2 5/8in

Unit made in USA with 5 year warranty

Bulbs are (….) Straight pin configuration and can be replaced by any
    brand bulb of your preference.

Glass lens cover not included- all endcaps on fixture are water proof and legs are included to keep unit safe distance from elements.

5 Year warranty highly efficient electronic ballast powers light fixture

2'' detachable legs are included free of charge if user needs extra
    space between light and aquarium.

Reflector is made of German Polished Aluminum – it is the most reflective in industry

Plug and play ready to operate upon arrival

efficient reflector on the market and is exceptionally bright.

There are 4- 1 watt LED moonlights on this fixture that are beautiful
    and are blue in color.

This Fixture works great with timers – so you can have light come
    automatically on for the dusk and dawn effect.

5. Morgan111

Morgan111Well Known MemberMember

sounds good but without the brand name you never know.... I've taken a chance like this and made out like a bandit and gotten the short end of the stick too... keep us updated on what you do... the pictures look like it is a quality unit.

6. OP
    OP
    midthought

Thanks, Morgan. I also found a lower WPG setup for $86, made by a company which I gather no longer exists (Custom Sea Life) *or* is now called Current USA or something. Replacement parts for it should be generic and obtainable from other manufacturers though.

I don't think going with eBay is ideal for me as I'm beginning but lighting is just so expensive... >.<

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice