Id This Fish?

sinned4g63

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I work at a powersports shop that services PWCs over most other types of vehicles and today I was surprised to see that a customer had dropped off their watercraft with a fish swimming around in the foot well after having made a 15min or so drive down the highway. I collected about a gallon of water from the foot wells and managed to plop the fish in a water bottle with the gallon of water. Not that I intend to keep the fish but I am curious to see where I might be able to set it free. I assume the water is either salt or brackish but not knowing where exactly the customer came from makes things a bit more difficult.

It looks like a type of minnow around 1.5 to 2 inches long with a clear body aside from a pale silvery stripe going down its side and greenish bluish spot on the top of its head between the eyes, but ever so small. It is very difficult to take a picture as once the little guy calmed down he began hiding behind the label on the bottle (which I'd rather leave on if it offers some comfort in hiding). I'll continue trying to get pictures, I know it's crucial.

The best I could get so far. Hard to see due to the color but the dorsal and analfins are very very close in shape if it helps.
20190730_163651.jpg
20190730_163813.jpg
20190730_163816.jpg

MikeRad89

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Atlantic silverside.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Looks like spearing.

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
To me it looks like a notropis, a shiner.
It's a freshwater fish who stays along the edges of fast moving rivers.
I could be wrong though...

sinned4g63

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
MikeRad89 said:
Atlantic silverside.
I had a customer stop in that really enjoys fishing and he said Silverside right away haha

Unfortunately it looks like they are sensitive to environment changes and normally live in brackish water and in schools which means it will likely be rather unhappy with anything I can provide it. That being said the best I could do is release it but even that feels a little messed up if it's not in the right spot, like just plop it wherever and wish it luck. Poor thing went for a heck of a ride so far..

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The double dorsal fin identifies it as a Silverside rather than a shiner/minnow. They are very delicate, I'm surprised it was surviving.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
sinned4g63 said:
I had a customer stop in that really enjoys fishing and he said Silverside right away haha
Looked it up. Same fish different names. It must be regional.

sinned4g63

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
scarface said:
Looked it up. Same fish different names. It must be regional.
There were a ton of similar fish at my neighborhood wharf.

chromedome52 said:
The double dorsal fin identifies it as a Silverside rather than a shiner/minnow. They are very delicate, I'm surprised it was surviving.
I'm surprised he made it here to begin with. Everything I saw made them see very delicate. I did take them home with me and let them go in my neighborhood wharf where as soon as they were free of the bottle joined a large group of similar looking fish all darting around the shallow parts of the water. I feel better letting it go instead of just keeping it to watch it die anyways. I'd like to think I at least gave them a chance

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom