ID This Fish

1. Jamieb284 Member Member

So I have 3 of these guys and I were told they are pictus catfish but I was also told pictus catfish don't get any bigger then 5 inch. These are already about 6 inch and are still rapidly growing. Anyone any ideas on this? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

They're not Pictus but they are a Pimelodus species, probably P. blochii or P. albofasciatus. Both grow to about 12", total length.

3. Jamieb284 Member Member

I'm sure they'll do well in my tank, being a 125g.

4. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

They look really good against that gravel. :)

5. Jamieb284 Member Member

They can be a very shy fish but they're amazing looking when they come out imo. By far some of my favourite fish I've kept!

They are definitely pimeldus blonchii after researching a bit on what you've said and looking at photos, no doubt about it! Thank you for your help, that explained why they surpassed pictus catfish size so soon no bother!

6. Mallorysmith44 Member Member

Very beautiful fish and tank.

7. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

It makes a nice change to see cats like these with enough space to actually spread their barbels out fully. So many can't, which tends to keep them stressed. :)

8. Jamieb284 Member Member

They love it in there! Never seen any sign of unhappiness or stress, they love it at night... They fly around like no one knows! Haha I always throw a few beef heart pellets in before I go to bed and I see them gobbling them all up, since they're nocturnal feeders.

9. Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

Omg they're adorable lol. Tank goals