Id This Fish - Siamese Algae Eater Or Flying Fox?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Rick bose, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Rick bose

Rick boseValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +69
    Experience:
    1 year
    Well the title says it all. The fish is small like 1.5 inch.
    Sorry the pictures are not so good and clear. But these are the best pictures I could manage to get after many attempts.
    I took some pictures just of its tail as I heard that's the best way to id this fish.

Attached Files:

2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,031
    Experience:
    2 years
    IME with SAE the black stripe extends from the tip of their nose all the way to the center tip of the tail. I have 4 SAE . 2 in my 20 long and 2 in my 55. I believe you have a FF

Attached Files:

3. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,067
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    No, it's not a Flying Fox (Epalzeorhynchus kalopterus), that species has a big black band in the dorsal fin. Incidentally, the true Flying Fox also has the black line going to the back edge of the caudal. Probably not SAE, either, with that band not going into the caudal fin. What's behind curtain #3? How about Garra taeniata? DING DING DING! We have a winner!

4. Coptapia

CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,109
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Definitely not a Garra. The head is too small and doesn’t have the characteristic CAE-type sucking mouth. Imo it’s one of the Crossocheilus species.

5. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,067
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    There are three pictures that include the head, and none are clear enough to say whether the mouth is underslung or not. After googling a pile of Garra images, including a set of comparative line drawings, I would also have to disagree with the head being too small. However, there are certainly other species possible, as this color pattern is quite widespread in nature.

Not to mention the fact that the Garra is almost as common as SAE and Flying Fox. Other species, not so much.