Id This Fish Please Question 

FishAddictFamily

Reaction score
I’m guessing some sort of rainbow or swordtail ? Or a freaky guppy colour I’ve never seen ?
IMG_0237.JPG

Greg F

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Could be a sunset platy although they usually have more red in the tail. Many mollies are yellow too ( sailfins or balloons ). I am not an expert on live bearers by any means though.

Lana1049

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I don’t think that’s a swordtail, as the dorsal fin is too long, and the tail doesn’t seem like a guppies’ tail, as theirs are usually very large. There are usually guppies in just one color at my lfs, so that wouldn’t surprise me. It could be a crossbreed between a guppy and a molly, because the tail is that of a molly and the dorsal fun is that of a guppy. It’s not that uncommon of an event, and it would make sense as yellow is seen a lot in mollies. Very cool!

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It looks like a sword to me, there’s high fin swords that have that kind of dorsal. There’s also the possibility it may be a platy/sword cross as it does look a little smaller than most swords, but that could also just be as it’s a youth.

I don’t think it’s a muppy. The muppies I’ve seen don’t look like this and it looks more like a sword overall to me.

GuppyGuy007

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree with @Platylover, it looks like it is some sort of hi-fin swordtail.

Annie59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm gonna say high fin platy.

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It’s a female hi-fin variatus platy, Xiphophorus variatus.

CandyCane701

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's a female high fin swordtail. No doubt. Only the males have the sword. She's way too long and slender to be a platy.

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CandyCane701 said:
It's a female high fin swordtail. No doubt. Only the males have the sword. She's way too long and slender to be a platy.
The picture is taken from slightly above the fish. Absolutely not a Swordtail.

CandyCane701

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Coptapia said:
The picture is taken from slightly above the fish. Absolutely not a Swordtail.
The first 2 pics are of my female hi-fin platy. Yes, she's pregnant so that throws it off a bit, but you can still see how short and stubby her body shape is compared to the OP's pic. You can also see the very distinct V shaped arch platies have compared to swordtails in the back. I also went ahead and added a pic of my female panda platy to show the V shaped back along with general body shape of a platy. The last pic is of my male swordtail. His body looks almost identical to the OP's pic minus the sword on his tail that's hidden in the pic anyways. Sorry the pic quality isn't so great. I just snapped them real quick with my phone.
20190129_010707.jpg
20190129_010702.jpg
20190129_010633.jpg
20190129_010745.jpg

ETA: It could possibly be a platy swordtail hybrid, but I still think the features resemble the swordtail on a stronger basis.

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They do look similar, but only if you ignore the fact that Swordtails have a longer based dorsal fin, and that variatus platies are a lot ‘thinner’ than maculatus platies.

All domestic platies are really platy/sword hybrids.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
These are hi-fin platy, they are longer because they have more swordtail gene to influence the appearance (with the bright yellow of the platy). They can breed with swordtails because they are closely related (this one is already a hybrid of the two, several generations to look like this), but this is a platy.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom