id this coral

Discussion in 'ID Help - Identify This' started by monkeypie102, Jan 9, 2013.

1. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

Not sure if this is a coral or what (I think it is a polyp) it is reddish brown and i see 4 grouped near eachother and 2 are out of hiding...
    IMG_20130109_131621.jpg
    IMG_20130109_131644.jpg

Sorry about the quality my tablet sucks at taking pictures and my phone is worse...

2. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

Does it react if you try touch it with tongs? Cuz if it does it might be a feather duster.

3. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

i poked it and it did retract... but it doesn't look like any feather duster I have ever seen... and i just found a slightly larger colony on the same rock... I poked them and they are really attached to the rock

Edit... did a Google search... I believe they are feather dusters... time will tell though!!! Anyways how does one care for a feather duster group? I am counting... 18-19 tiny ones...

4. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

They are filter feeders and mainly eat plankton.

5. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

Okay... now my tank is still cycling (day 2) so how would I go about feeding them then? Is it possible to buy small things they can feed on? I have frozen plankton... I ask because i also found 3-4 spaghetti worms in the live rock and would like to keep them alive as well :)

6. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

Frozen is fine and the worms well eat NLS pellets.

7. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

Thanks Jessi

8. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

Your welcome ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice