Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

ID this cichlid?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by beast02, Aug 17, 2010.

1. beast02 New Member Member

Size wise, it's about 3 1/2 - 4 inches. Was at my lfs, next to the Jack Dempseys, but was not what was listed for the tank it was in. It was mixed with some albino oscars. There were 3-4 of these guys in there. When I asked the girl working there, she wasn't too sure either. Just said that it definitely was in the wrong tank.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  2. JRDroid Well Known Member Member

It kinda looks like a juvenile green terror. But it could be a JD, since juvenile JD and Green Terror look very similar to me.

EDIT: Upon a second look, it does seem to have the red band on top of its dorsal fin that some green terror develop. I don't know that I have ever seen that on a JD.

3. beast02 New Member Member

That's what I was thinking too, one or the other. Hopefully some of the resident cichlid experts can figure this one out.

4. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

all of my regular jds have the red on the dorsal fin also.

5. beast02 New Member Member

When it was sitting right next to the juvi (2" maybe) JD's it did look just like a larger version, but I thought a bigger JD would have more black on it?

6. Chris123 Well Known Member Member

7. JRDroid Well Known Member Member

I stand corrected
    Fish can change color based on their mood. If it was stressed and in non ideal condition (i.e. having a ton of other fish in too small a space) it wouldn't show black. Also I am not 100% sure what age they show black at, but yours looks a little young to be showing black yet.

8. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

I wish i could take better pics but I have some juvenile JD's all from the same brood, half are in a tank with light colored substrate and half are in black substrate. The ones in the black substrate are literally black looking and the ones with the light sand are washed out and very light colored.

9. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

here we go, 2 of the fish on dark substrate and 2 on lighter substrate.

Attached Files:

10. crazedACD Valued Member Member

Possibly a Gold Jack Dempsey?

By any chance was it at a Petsmart in MA? Haha, I saw a similar looking fish there, next to some regular JDs and labeled as an Oscar ;).

11. Kathy Potts Well Known Member Member

12. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Looks like a Jack Dempsey to me as well.

Congratulations! Beautiful fish!

13. Nick G Well Known Member Member

Hi Beast, very nice looking Jack Dempsey. :)