ID the fuzz

1. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Could someone help me ID this fuzz on my spider wood please? I don't know if it's algae or something actually resulting from the wood. I don't see it on the manzanita I have in the tank. I have tried manually removing, which worked temporarily, but then it came back.

[​IMG]

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

How long has the wood been in the tank? Could be the natural funguses growing now that it's in water. It should go away.

3. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

A little over 3 months. I did, about 3-4 weeks ago, pull it out, scrub it down, and reboil it. Then it was fine for a bit, and now it's coming back.

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I'd see if it goes away on its own. Sounds like the natural process to me!

5. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Interesting, I definitely did not think it would take this long. Shame my snails have gotten so lazy about cleaning, lol.

6. Dondomingo Well Known Member Member

I found some pieces of wood would just not give up with the muck. In the end Id try another piece and most of the times have better luck than constantly cleaning it.

Like TexasDomer mentioned, it generally does go away. I just had maybe a few pieces out of the bunches I've owned that just never cleared up so I ended up just replacing them.

My spiderwood only mucked up for a very short time. I would just use a net to clear up the goop and before I knew it, it stopped, whereas i've had some Medium to big mopani logs that just wouldn't stop. Ever.

It's harmless, just annoying when your trying to keep everything clean.

7. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

lol, my mopani and manzanita have done almost nothing. It's just that one piece of spider wood. As long as it's just the natural growth and harmless, I'm fine with it being in there. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't having some build up of a random type of algae I didn't know about :)

8. Dondomingo Well Known Member Member

oh no, I get you there.. I remember when my walstad got its' first sprout of black beard I went into panic mode. Tree muck as I call it, clear to semi translucent, sometimes in glopply balls like cotton to a slight slime that floats in the current off the branch. It smells of old shoe ( Yes I smell my tank, a healthy tank smells earthy, not like fish so the best I can describe it is like old smelly shoe)