ID Shark (pangsius)

Discussion in 'Catfish' started by ThatOneAquarist, Jul 23, 2015.

1. T

ThatOneAquarist Valued Member Member

Im really at a loss of what to do. I bought one of these (a pangasius catfish) about a year ago because well.. I wanted a big fish. I watched a few videos and saw they get about a foot or so in most setups so I figured I could deal with that. Well he was in a 29 gallon and while I was away someone in the house downgraded him to a 10 gallon so they could use the dresser space. He is now about 5 inches long but I know as soon as I put him in the 55 gallon I got hes going to get huge (hes grown about 2 inches in the last 3 months). Im a little worried hes going to eat the danios I have in the 55 at the moment as ive gotten quite attached to those curious little guys, so what should I do? I really don't want to get rid of him but... I may have to... to save my danios and for his sake. Next step is craigslist.. but I really don't want to risk sending him off to another cramped tank. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2015
  2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore! :)
    Sorry to tell you but you're gonna have to find a home for that catfish ASAP. From reading online, these catfish can get up to 4 feet long. In the meantime, I would put him in your 55 gallon and move the danios to the 29 gallon. He could be stunted though

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    T

Thanks for the feedback. Im probably going to have to post on craigslist and make it very clear this fish is going to need an good size tank

4. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Or probably a very large pond.

5. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

If you have a year old ID shark and it's only 5 inches, it's stunted. I hate to break it to you, but it probably won't live much longer

If you want to keep one you will need a 10' x 4' tank, or indoor pond. These are one of those fish that really shouldn't be available to most. Only a few have the means to house these.

6. OP
    OP
    T

That's what im worried of, the petsmart near me sold him to me not warning me of what I was really getting in to, obviously the labels at big box stores lie to make money and I should've known but just didn't back then. Thanks guys. (petsmart stopped selling them soon after I got him)

7. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't worry about it eating your danios as they aren't fish eaters.

8. OP
    OP
    T

That's true, but theres still him getting at least a foot. unless hes stunted as BDpups said then ill put him in the new tank and the stress will probably kill him.

9. BDpups

They are omnivores. And they will eat other fish.

I doubt it could catch a danio. But who knows.

10. slayer5590

I have never seen or heard of one eating another fish.

11. BDpups

I have.  

12. OP
    OP
    T

They do eat other fish, and believe me stunted or not this guy is quick, hes quite skittish (they do better in group) and when theres a tap (like a remote control hitting a table) he shoots around the tank usually hitting the glass a few times. I really do feel terrible at this point (even though I want the one who put him in that tiny tank in the first place) sadly the 29 gallon was given away by the same person who took it down (without my permission again). He would have to work to catch a danio though

13. slayer5590

Those are paroon sharks eating other fish not ids.

14. OP
    OP
    T

Yeah pretty much every video on youtube of "sharks" eating goldfish are paroons, most IDs eat pellets, and hes never been introduced to hunting. But every care sheet ive seen says they'll eat what will fit in their mouth

15. BDpups

I don't know what you two are looking at. But ok....

16. OP
    OP
    T

Im looking at youtube, where literally every ID shark feeding on there is not live fish. That picture could have a lot of different stories behind it

17. BDpups

ID sharks eat fish. At least the ones I have do. They are omnivores. And that pic is of an ID shark eating a fish.

I'm done derailing this thread.

18. OP
    OP
    T

Please do prove to me they eat fish, that's why I started this thread. Im not trying to say youre wrong im simply, telling you what ive seen, the id ive had has been bullied by other fish but never retaliated and a fish that eats other fish are usually aggressive.

19. BDpups

I'm confused now....

20. OP
    OP
    T

I said that because it was an easy way to settle my thoughts, though after looking farther into it I realized the problem with that statement. Thank you everyone who commented on this thread. I think im going to continue my search for a new home and just proceed with my plan to place him in the 55 and pray my danios survive

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice