ID Quiz ?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by hampalong, Jul 13, 2015.

1. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

I know what they are. Anybody else? :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

Hampala dispar

3. OP
    OP
    hampalong

Nope...

4. slayer5590

Was I right on the genus?

5. OP
    OP
    hampalong

6. slayer5590

bimaculata

7. slayer5590

By the way Hampalas are on my bucket list lol.

8. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Hampala ampalong? Lol, is this where your username comes from? Clever.

9. slayer5590

These barbs are hard to find info on outside of H. macrolepidota.

10. OP
    OP
    hampalong

You're telling me. Google Image H. ampalong and most of the pictures are of my fish. They were the only two in the UK, probably...

Anders has it.

:)

11. Anders247

Wow, very interesting. Are they schooling fish?

12. OP
    OP
    hampalong

Pass. They're quite rare. I think just the odd one or two are ever seen.

13. Anders247

Where'd you get them from?
    I see that H. macrolepidota is a shoaling fish, I think it's safe to assume this one is as well....

14. slayer5590

I've been keeping fish since 1987 and I've never seen one of any species in person.

15. OP
    OP
    hampalong

I've seen macrolepidota a few times, one dispar, maybe two, and a few salweenensis when they were popular for a year or two after they were discovered in 93.

My local shop got them in as two macrolepidota, about 3". The manager knew they weren't macro but assumed they were one of the others that are available if you know where to look... so he didn't delve. I did. They were so beautiful and different I had to ID them. When I found they were ampalong, and seemed to possibly get no more than 15" or so, I had to have them.

All the time they were in the shop they were together like in the pics. When I got them they were a big contrast to the dollars, who would float round the tank hoovering up food like Homer in a space shuttle. The Hampala would eye up a piece in the crowd, turn to face it directly then lunge at it like a pike. Then turn (always a turn), focus, lunge.

They turned out to be male and female. The female is a lot chunkier and has a different shaped anal fin. The male died a few months ago at 6" :( I still have the female, she's about 9". It's taken a couple of years to get to that size.

16. Anders247

Hmm, Fishbase says they get 15.5 cm, not inches.... wrong? Yours was 9 inches, so must be.

17. slayer5590

It's too bad macros are the ones you see the most since most people would never be able to house them properly. They get way too big for most ppl.

18. Anders247

Yeah, I've noticed that with a few species of large fish, there's often something in the same genus that gets a lot smaller but not as common.....

19. OP
    OP
    hampalong

There are literally hundreds of plecs that stay 5-6" or less...

FishBase hasn't even got a picture yet (which reminds me...). When I was IDing them the only pictures I found were a few caught by rod and line. The biggest was about 15".

20. Anders247

Ah, they need to update it then.....
    Yeah, good point with the plecos. It's ridiculous how they have to choose the biggest ones out of the bunch for aquariums.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice