ID possible sword/anubias

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by funkman262, Mar 19, 2010.

1. funkman262

funkman262 Well Known Member Member

[​IMG]

I was plant shopping today and I saw something that I thought was a large anubias but the worker there told me it was some type of sword plant. Help in ID'ing the species of this plant would be much appreciated ;D. Thank you.

2. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

That's either a better pic or it helps being up the right way. :)

As you know my money is on Anubius. Possibly Anubius Barteri 'var' Round Leaf. Among other possibilities. I'm going to leave my options open on this one. :)

3. Nate McFin

Nate McFin Well Known Member Member

I would agree with Nutter. Doesnt look like the Rhizome of a sword to me.

4. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I'm not sure what the plant is but it really looks healthy! Nice and green with great roots! I hope it does well for you.
    Ken

5. OP
    OP
    funkman262

Thanks Ken :). Yesterday was my exploring day lol I drove around to 3 different fish stores that I've never been to before that I found on google maps. The first one was small, but it was the cleanest one I've ever seen. No signs of illness or dead fish. That's where I found a really awesome large piece of mopani wood. The other 2 stores well let's just say I'll never go to them again. But none of them had the plants I wanted so I went to my usual LFS because I knew they have a large variety of plants. All of the plants I got from him are in great condition (not a single brown or dulling leaf on any of them :)) so I'm just hoping I can keep it that way. This is my first time using real plants and Nutter especially has been doing a great job to make sure the plants survive lol.

6. OP
    OP
    funkman262

After looking at the names of different sword plants, I remembered that it was a Brazilian Sword plant. After getting more information about this plant, it turns out that it's not actually an aquatic plant :(. I really trusted the guy at the LFS since I know nearly nothing about aquatic plants. I guess I'll have to return them and get something else. Any suggestions for a background plant in a medium light tank (~2WPG)? Here's what the tank looks like now...the Brazilians are in the 2 back corners.

[​IMG]

7. _Fried_Bettas_

_Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

The plant looks like my Anubias Frazeri.

8. Nutter

I don't think that's Brasilian Sword. They are a rosette plant not a rhizome plant like yours is. The leaves are also a different shape & the veins look markedly different. I think you will find it turns out to be an Anubius of some variety. I think you whould leave it where it is & see how it goes.

9. OP
    OP
    funkman262

I was just trying to compare pictures and go by what the guy told me at the store but I'll take all of your words for it instead. I'll leave it in there and hope for the best. Thanks all ;D

10. Nutter

I think it will turn out to be ok. Just make sure the rhizome is exposed above the substrate. The rhizome is the part just above the finer white roots, right at the very base of the plants. If the rhizome is buried the plant will eventually die. If the plant starts to die off & you know you have planted & cared for it correctly, then it will probably be time to pull it out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice