ID please

1. claytonc Initiate Member

So I breed rainbow fish and gudgeons and have had a lot of fish but never gourami. I also never buy fish from pet stores. Well my ma and pa lfs where I go for frozen food had these guys. Appears to be male and female but they said they got them on accident. They have had them in tap water for a purple weeks they said but they appear fine. Couldn't pass them up. I know that some smaller gouramis require some special attention. I can't nail them down. Can someone help me out with a positive id? They are beautiful fish one with much more pronounced fins that are quite red. I have them floating in a 20 long planted with amano shrimp and 5 small thread fin rainbows as that's the only tank that isn't super busy with larger fish. Thx!

2. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to the forum and glad you joined us. Could you please post a picture of each one from the side so we can ID them and sex them. Looking at the dorsal fin to help sex them. ;)Alison

3. claytonc Initiate Member

[​IMG]

Is it sparkling? They look a bit different to me. Are there local variants or hybrids?

4. Airth Member Member

These guys look a bit big to be sparkling gourami. . .though they could be. The only other gourami that looks similar to that is the croaking gourami. How big are these fish? Might help narrow it down.

5. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

I agree.

6. chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Actually, there are a few that look similar to Sparkling Gourami, but these are, indeed, Croaking Gouramis, Trichopsis vittata. I just got my last spawn of 150 fry down to the last 5 after a year and a half in a pool, and when I moved those to a new tank, I had a spawning within a week. Any floating plants will give the male a place to build a nest. Fry are actually good size for a relatively small fish, easily tank bbs when they start swimming.

Much better in community tanks than Sparkling, as they are not as shy. They are not easily intimidated by Tetras, barbs, or small Angelfish.

Not always easy to sex, but males are usually a little bigger and have longer fins. The front fish is clearly male, and from the dorsal fin, I'd say the back fish is a female. Good Luck!

7. claytonc Initiate Member

@ chromedome52 thanks you did it! They are close to 3 inches. Now I really hope to get them to spawn. This male has very blue eyes and is getting more red by the minute as he settles. Here in a bit I will post one more picture. So from what I just read they won't get violent just being a pair but do better in a group. They are also pretty hardy and take a variety of food?Hopefully I can find a couple more. I have been looking and see none for sale. They gave me these for .99 cents :) Thanks guys!

8. Airth Member Member

If these guys are almost 3" then I really don't think they're sparkling gourami. The fishlore profile says sparklings only get to about 1.5".