Id Please (cichlid) Help

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Royal_Affair, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Royal_Affair

Royal_Affair Valued Member Member

Gender and type, please! I have an idea, have asked before but nobody really knew or had a good idea. Some are peacocks and some are haps! Thanks to those who answer!
    IMG_4111.JPG IMG_4105.JPG IMG_4097.JPG IMG_4104.JPG IMG_4100.JPG IMG_6516.JPG

2. W

Wraithen Well Known Member Member

Pics 1, 3, and 4 appear to be geos of some sort. The last photo appears to be a peacock.

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What is geo short for? If you mean Geophagus, they're not those.

4. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

Geos as in earth eaters? Not at all, these are all African mouth brooding cichlids, either haps or peacocks.

1,2,3 all peacocks. 1 would be the only one to be a specific type, likely somewhere in the line of sunset/fire/dragon's blood. 3 is for sure a female and I would guess 1 a female also, but it is rather young yet. 2 could be a male but it looks pretty plump in the belly so a good chance of it being female.

4 and 6 have the body shape of young electric blue ahlis, and it is pretty common to see ahli and peacock hybrids. I'd guess they are hybrids because they have the vertical stripes like peacocks while still having the shape of a hap.

5 is stumping me, you will have to wait till it is an adult. Obviously a hap, but of which species (if any specifically) I don't know. There are so many cross bred Africans out there because they have a tendency to interbreed with other species, much like the average dog would.

5. W

Wraithen Well Known Member Member

That's why I stick to sa I guess lol. I never wanted Africans until I fell in love with western odd balls. I was going off of head shape but mouth brooders makes sense.

6. OP
    OP
    Royal_Affair

Royal_Affair Valued Member Member

I think number 5 might be a yellow blaze. I know for sure when I bought them all, one was labelled as a yellow blaze, and one was a Ngara Flametail Peacock

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice