ID on my daughter's bracelet

1. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Shelby went shopping with Grandma today and got a bracelet and A LOT of charms. I recognized most of the charms: ying/yang, Star of David, crystal ball, pegasus, but there was one charm she asked me what it meant and I didn't know. She even got a little skull charm. I'm so proud, it's a very open-minded charm bracelet.

Since we have so many members with so many different backgrounds, beliefs, etc., I was hoping someone could help me out.

Attached is the pic. It's the one with the Asian writing on it. I'm assuming it's Chinese because there is a dragon on the back, but I'd really love to know what it symbolizes so I don't give her wrong information.

Thanks everyone!

Attached Files:

2. gremlin

gremlin Well Known Member Member

It may be the Chinese symbols for love, strength, friendship, life, or some others. It is kind of hard to see them in the picture. Here is a website that might help to figure out what the symbols are.

http://www.chinese-symbols.com/

3. OP
    OP
    bolivianbaby

Thanks, Gremlin! I looked at every one of those symbols and then the other symbols and they're not there.

I was mistaken. It's not dragons on the back. I'm really getting confused. Now I'm really wishing I would've paid more attention in World History. There are so many cultures that use symbols, it's going to be hard to "pin" it down.

4. sirdarksol

sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

I don't know Chinese, but some of those look vaguely familiar. It looks like the kind of coin used in certain types of Chinese mysticism. Check out the words for elemental forces (fire, wood, metal, earth, air, water, etc...) that might be what they are.

5. OP
    OP
    bolivianbaby

I just checked. That's not it, either:(

I also looked up Taoism symbols and had no luck there.

She found this charm at a craft store, so why is it so hard to figure out?

Thanks everyone for your help with this!

6. sirdarksol

It could be nonsense. Random words put on a coin because they look cool. It happens with tattoos periodically. In fact, I know some people who have misguided tattoos. They aren't quite nonsensical, but they are literal translations, rather than proper interpretations, so the real meaning of the tattoos is not what they intended.

Edit: Okay, getting my wife's help on this. In Japanese, the one on the right means "like" with the context of "to be like something" rather than "to like something." (if that makes sense) I'll post more as she gets more.

7. OP
    OP
    bolivianbaby

Very valid point, SDS.

I gotta admit, I'd love to know for sure, though. If it does have a meaning, I'd love for my daughter to know what it means out of respect for the culture. If it doesn't, I'd love for her to know that as well.

I guess if we get it figured out, it's meant to be and if we don't, then it's not.

Thanks for all of your help:;hug2

8. sirdarksol

Update: The top one is really close to the Chinese and Japanese character for 100, though there is a small discrepancy (the center line extends above the top line... in the symbol for 100, it doesn't).

Edit: The one on the left (said right before) is similar to the Japanese word for waterfall or the Chinese onomatopoeia for falling rain... Again, not quite exact.

Correction to the edit: The one on the left means idea, thought, mind, heart, taste, desire, care, liking. (Japanese)

Bottom one is: auspicious, happiness, blessedness, good omen, good fortune.

The entire thing can probably be interpreted as something close to "100 thoughts of happiness"

9. OP
    OP
    bolivianbaby

You're good!:;hf:;nw

What resource are you using? You're making much better progress than I was.

Shelby (PlecoPrincess) and I both Thank You both so much:;hug2

Please give your wife a big hug for us!

10. sirdarksol

She's using a Japanese kanji dictionary.

11. OP
    OP
    bolivianbaby

This was the thread of a thousand edits:giggle:

Thank you both so much! SDS-your wife is AMAZING!

12. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Wow, sds, I'm pretty impressed with your wife! 100 thoughts of happiness is really cool, BB. Your daughter's gonna love that.

13. redlessi

redlessi Well Known Member Member

This is one of the reasons that I love this forum!!!!

14. OP
    OP
    bolivianbaby

She's a smart lady for sure!

My daughter's going to need 100 thoughts of happiness. She officially became a "tween" last week. :;laughing

I TOTALLY agree! Anytime we feel the urge to count our blessings, MANY are here on this forum:;group

15. m

mosin360 Well Known Member Member

Ahh, I just love seeing people get tatoos like that and have no idea what the marks really mean.