Id My Pleco Please.

grantm91

I was sold him as a “common” over 18 months ago, he was around 3 inch then.
that Synodontis is 3 inch, I’m asking as after this much time would a common not be huge ?

Thanks guys.

Aquaphobia

He certainly looks like a common. Growth rate is affected by a number of factors so it's possible you just got a slow growing or maybe even stunted specimen.

Sacksteder kid

It looks like a common to me too. That is a weird color on him.

BAS Aquariums

his eyes and fins show that he has likely been stunted in the past. its possible that its some sort of demelonized variety of common pleco. What size tank is he in? what's your temp?

grantm91

Thanks guys, he could well be stunted, as he is from the dreaded pets at home, the uk equivalent to petco. He is a happy pleco, but the size has had me questioning that was all.

AngelTheGypsy

He doesn’t look like a “common” common, and there are so many possible species.
chromedome52 @Anders257 DoubleDutch
I don’t know if y’all might know; just thought I’d ask

grantm91

Thanks AngelTheGypsy they are so confusing, thousands of plecos out there haha.

chromedome52

Dorsal has more than 10 rays, that makes him a Pterygoplichthys species. Took a look through the genus at PlanetCatfish, though, and didn't see anything that was a perfect match. You might want to look there yourself, as you are more familiar with all the color phases of your fish; you could find a match.

Some of these get quite large, but a couple of species stay under a foot.

KimberlyG

Ugh...I don't know why I came back to this post. I have spent hours on planet catfish looking at plecos because it didn't look like a common to me, Chrome just had me go back and look again. (It was actually very interesting but also very frustrating) I'm certain you have a pleco. That is all I am certain about. Good luck.

grantm91

Thankyou chromedome52 I know where to start now. I guess if its not a royal blue or bn, rubber lip or bull dog etc it gets labeled common. Thanks again.

BAS Aquariums

I was trying to identify the pleco using google threads and I came across this picture.

From what I can tell it has the same number of dorsal rays and color are almost identical. it also has similar scales and second dorsal knob and eye color.

BAS Aquariums

I tracked the thread back to this calling it a "chocolate albino". its obviously not a true albino but is a leucistic fish like the blue eyed lemon bushynose pleco. I'm not entirely sure if I'm correct but this is the only specific guess so far.

Heres a screen shot of the website source:

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom