ID my fish

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by bizaliz3, Jul 18, 2015.

1. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

The store said that he is a pearl Honduran red point. Is that correct?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I would say they got it right..... hampalong may know.

3. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

I tried looking it up. Had better luck with 'platinum Honduran red point'
    I'm not cichlid expert but its probably just the different common names that cause confusion when mutations bring a new fish.
    On the other hand I could be totally incorrect and they be different varients altogether since I have no experience with cichlids other than some very short lived GBRs.

4. OP
    OP
    bizaliz3

Thanks for finding that! I definitely have better luck when I use platinum instead of pearl! I just needed to try and figure out exactly what this is so I know what I'm working with :) when I got home from the store and searched pearl Honduran red point, I didn't really see any fish that looks like mine.

Right now he is the only fish in my new 55 gallon tank. And I'm trying to figure out how to stock it. The guy at the store said this one was a relatively peaceful cichlid. I found that not to be a true because I put my platinum angel in the tank with him to see how it would go. For hours they were best buddies... They were constantly together swimming side by side even though they had all that space. But when I turn the lights on this morning it was a different story. Once the lights went out my new cichlid clearly became a big bully to the angel. So I immediately took the angel out. His fins were all frayed and his face was a little red.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2015
  5. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

Either a Platinum HRP or a Platinum Convict...

6. OP
    OP
    bizaliz3

I assume it's the Platinum HRP, since that's how the store advertised it. Except they said pearl instead of platinum. Is there any way to know for sure if its an HRP or a convict? And what would the differences be as far as their temperament?

7. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

I would go with the assumption it's a convict and not a hrp. Hrp variants aren't to common, whereas convict variants are everywhere.

8. OP
    OP
    bizaliz3

But this particular place always has rare fish... So that's not hard to believe that it would be the more uncommon species.

9. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Platinum HRP isn't that uncommon anymore, and there are a lot of fish breeders up Minnesota way that would be likely to have the strain. It is difficult to discern, but Platinum HRP is whiter than Pink Convicts. The fish in question looks HRP to me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice